Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ac recharge kit

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Okayy. I need to regas two cars.one is leaked from the condenser while i was drilling the chasis.thinking of using jb weld for the hole on the condenser. In another one when replacing motor all gas ran out. So where exactly i can find that chill thing?? I wanted to do it for myself for experience. Thanks guys for comments

Condensors are high pressure , unless you get it welded , it wont seal. Jut get a new one

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
unsure what weight of r134a the vr/vs has but i'm roughly estimating 1 and a bit cans per vehicle (300 gm per can) so $90
can adapter is around $60
manifold and hoses.... you can find cheap ones for $120-$150 (basically i may not trust the gauges but you measure by weight with this stuff so need accurate scales)

so just for the basic start you're looking at close to $300, not including oil, if the system needs overhauling as it sounds like it does then you want o-rings for all the joins and schrader valves and you still have no way of purging all the air from the system which is a must.....

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
One issue with regassing is oil, the vs compressor uses 130cc of PAG oil, pretty sure this oil also mixes with the gas somewhat, so when evacing old gas and putting in new gas there maybe oil missing. Im not sure how A/C guys check the oil amount but there should be a way. Perhaps when regassing they evac the system, drain the oil and put in 130cc.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
They also put some UV Dye in the system so they can check for any leaks, or if a leak develops at a later time, they can easily find where it is.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Im not sure how A/C guys check the oil amount but there should be a way. Perhaps when regassing they evac the system, drain the oil and put in 130cc.

The correct way is to use modern equipment that recovers the gas in the system and separates the oil in a gauged container, and if the last bloke done the right thing then that's all you inject back in before you regas. One step better is to remove the compressor and drain it and add then refill the compressor with the correct amount, but you will not find very many shops practising that I am afraid to say.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
They also put some UV Dye in the system so they can check for any leaks, or if a leak develops at a later time, they can easily find where it is.

The dye is a very lazy and **** way to do it, the correct method is to charge the system and use a caliberated leak detector to find the leak. JMHO.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've had the UV dye put into all my cars since the late 70's and guess what - it has never helped find a leak. All my leaks have been found by oil traces and when due to a crack by a propane flame which they pass over the piping.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
The dye is a very lazy and **** way to do it, the correct method is to charge the system and use a caliberated leak detector to find the leak. JMHO.

Yeah but it is still an easy way to find a leak. They just add the dye, put the glasses on and they look around. That's how they did it with my WH Statesman, they could see the body seal around the compressor leaking. That was also after the 2 pipe seals were replaced.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
a proper evac system basically has a catch can that traps oil so they can see how much came out, other options are to completely remove the compressor and tip it out then work out the model number and refill with the correct amount..... msds for some pag oil http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926620

Toxicological Data on Ingredients: Polyethylene glycol 400: ORAL (LD50): Acute: 30200 mg/kg [Rat]. 28915 mg/kg
[Mouse]. 26800 mg/kg [Rabbit]. DERMAL (LD50): Acute: >20000 mg/kg [Rabbit]. VAPOR (LC50): Acute: >13 ppm 8
hours [Rat].

Section 4: First Aid Measures
Eye Contact:
p. 2
Check for and remove any contact lenses. In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15
minutes. Cold water may be used. Get medical attention if irritation occurs.
Skin Contact:
Wash with soap and water. Cover the irritated skin with an emollient. Get medical attention if irritation develops. Cold water
may be used.
Serious Skin Contact: Not available.
Inhalation:
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical
attention.
Serious Inhalation: Not available.
Ingestion:
Do NOT induce vomiting unless directed to do so by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious
person. If large quantities of this material are swallowed, call a physician immediately. Loosen tight clothing such as a collar,
tie, belt or waistband.
Serious Ingestion: Not available.

lovely stuff to play with it seems....

parvez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR COMMODORE
thanks a lot guys for awesome discussion. i would better go to a professional a lot cheaper i guess.