Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Achilles ATR Sport tyre Failure

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
I could see them failing in decent conditions, I know people who use them for drifting and they are terrible, de laminate very quickly. Maybe a similar story if they have a hard life, which leads to a premature failure.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Side wall bubbling is usually caused by incorrect load rating or abuse.

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
These tyres were on my wifes car for 4 months, she doesn't do skids, she has traction control on 24/7, I expect it is what you pay for. They are made in Indonesia so i believe that quality control is lacking . I will never buy them again. Federals will be the cheapest thing I go.

On another note the tyre rep didn't seem to care that my wife was 9 months pregnant at the time. Luckily she was only doing 50 km/h about 400m from home. I mentioned "what if" she was on the freeway doing 100km/h, he shrugged his shoulders. Guy was a wanker, stuffed me around, turned up an hour late rocking up in his brand new Merc. I wish i had one free punch someone in the face pass!!

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
where the tyre is made isnt the problem as the wheels or motor magazines 2011 tyre test had a Indonesian made tyre in the top 4 (if i remember correctly)

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
one tyre test in a magazine doesn't check 100% of there product, Achilles might be good 99% of the time, but it's that 1% that could end up with a fatality. I am not buying them again, chances are I'd never ever have a problem, but if It did explode on a freeway and I lost a loved one i'd never forgive myself.

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here are some pics:

DSCF6811.jpg

DSCF6818.jpg

DSCF6824.jpg

DSCF6820.jpg

DSCF6835.jpg

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
That exactly what mine did, but a chunk actually flew off.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Doesnt that sort of sidewall damage occur when the tyres are underinflated? I've seen that happen a few times on big rims with minimal sidewall.

some of those tyres were big name brands too...

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
tyres have never been underinflated, 4 months old, they mentioned this too me and i said look at the sidewall, still has the hairy indicator bits!