Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice Needed!

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
dude. my heart breaks for you

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah sorry mate, that little tiny dent in the roof means shes a write off. seems strange, but that is one of the strongest points on the car, tryin to pull it out is almost impossible.

and try and explain to an insurance company that because your car was immac and 27 years old that its worth more than redbook value! never gonna happen. the best you can hope for is 1500, but i really hope you do better than that, if you got 3k id be happy with that, considering it wasnt your fault.

and redbook is gay, it lists my impala trade in value as 1k -3k... they are selling on ebay between 15-20k. but thats what yards and insurers base their quotes on. i think it is linked with vic roads etc and how much people say they bought their cars for (saves on stamp duty if you say you got it for 1k)

anyways, once again, sorry mate and i hope they give you a fair amount.

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 253 Project - BMW 328i Coupe Daily
Thanks for the support guys.

This was granny spec, constantly garaged, 223,000 on the clock, no dents or paint blemishes, full original interior with no cracks or tears, went very well and started first time. I had a fantastic VC, I don't think I will find another one that will top it. As you said ari666, the insurance company will just insure it under redbook, but I hope they will recognise that this was a one-of-a-kind VC and give me what it is really worth.

It is doing my head in, getting it evaluated tomorrow afternoon, I just want the ordeal behind me.

Cheers

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
Thanks for the support guys.

This was granny spec, constantly garaged, 223,000 on the clock, no dents or paint blemishes, full original interior with no cracks or tears, went very well and started first time. I had a fantastic VC, I don't think I will find another one that will top it. As you said ari666, the insurance company will just insure it under redbook, but I hope they will recognise that this was a one-of-a-kind VC and give me what it is really worth.

It is doing my head in, getting it evaluated tomorrow afternoon, I just want the ordeal behind me.

Cheers

yeh my mum got an extra grand for saying that her car had sentamental value if thats how you spell it but yeh its worth a shot

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate, this car I have known for a while, and it is my first car, I wouldn't be lying if I said it had some sort of sentimental value. I'll definitely give it a shot.

Cheers

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Do yourself a favour and do not just accept the insurance companies first offer if it is below the red books maximum (red book is b/s IMO) and the real replacement value. Push the point and haggle. Demonstrate to them how much you would have to fork out to replace the car of equivalant condition with trading post / car sales etc adds. Remeber you are a potential customer to the insurance company and it is in their interest to keep you happy. If you are very young get your dad or an older person involved with you to debate the matter on your behalf, it can do wonders!

Good luck.

MkyHnly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Took it to Phil Mundays (Panel Beaters) yesterday and they said it was a write off. The guy there said that it is worth a lot more because of the good condition, and I could push for nostalgic value or something like that? Anyway I have called JJ Richards and they are going to get an assessor out today to look at the car for me, and hopefully get it sorted out by tomorrow.

Cheers

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I used to assess for NRMA.
definitely a total loss/writeoff, due to the low market value of the car.

we used to offer a settlement figure based on 3 different sources.
Glass's Information Services - New and Used Vehicle Prices (Buying or selling your car get car prices here...) & 2 different advertising sources eg trading post

we used to choose the settlement figure based on the condition & kms of the car. In this cars case we would have chosen the upper figure as the car was clearly in good condition for it's age. If the claimant disagreed with the value, we would advise they find a few advertisements of similar cars in similar condition to support their desired payout figure. If the claimant wasn't one of our own customers, we would cash settle them for the market value of the undamaged car, minus the salvage value of the damaged car and the person would keep the car

With all that in mind, unfortunately a base model VC isn't worth a lot of money - I'd say $1500 is a fair figure