Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After market head units

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Hey guys, i'm in need of a little help. I've got my heart set on a double din head unit that has a Holden boot logo. Now so far all i can find are the likes of the Chinese stuff on Ebay such as this: 6 2" Double 2 DIN CAR DVD MP3 GPS SAT NAV Player Head Unit Stereo CD Tunezmart | eBay
The quality of this Chinese stuff seems very hit and miss. I have read on forums that the head units like the one i want are very good and have lasted for a couple of years, while others say that they die after a couple of months use.
So what i want to know is or are there double din head units from reputable company's such as Pioneer, Sony, Philips and the like what allow you to use a custom boot logo such as a Holden as i am wanting.....or do i need to play Chinese roulette with an Ebay unit?
Going into a VY2 SS by the way.
Looking forward some help here folks.
Cheers

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I looked into this too when I was looking for a deck. as far as I know the big name ones at most will only allow you to set your own background and not a boot logo. obviously they are going to use their own logo for branding reasons. the best I could do was use my own background on my sony deck.

86BCAA7D-B843-4166-8BED-D09E579C88DA_zpscobazrlj.jpg

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
I looked into this too when I was looking for a deck. as far as I know the big name ones at most will only allow you to set your own background and not a boot logo. obviously they are going to use their own logo for branding reasons. the best I could do was use my own background on my sony deck.

86BCAA7D-B843-4166-8BED-D09E579C88DA_zpscobazrlj.jpg

That looks really good. I could live with just a custom background i think.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
As iChris said, mainstream brands will usually lock down the boot logo but most brands allow custom backgrounds. Some units do display the background screen while booting after the short brand splash screen. I know some Pioneer units do this. There's also custom firmware/hacks for certain navigation units that allow custom boot logos. AVIC411 forum has heaps of info on that sort of stuff.

[edit]
Just played with a Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB and it doesn't have a boot screen, it goes straight ON and shows the background screen. I couldn't work out the exact resolution though. 640x480, 800x480, 1026x768 were all cropped or squashed so some experimenting would be required to get the right resolution image.

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Make sure to check that the unit youre looking at does allow you to put up your own background. Last year I got caught out with a couple of customers because I presumed that the Sony XAV64 could give you a custom background that the XAV63 could do the same... but it couldn't, just let you choose one of their different images.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Welllll....after talking various people at Repco and Supercheap and getting no where because no one knew anything about the 2 din units...although one guy was keen for me to buy a $1500 unit i got onto Ebay and found JVC, Kenwood and Pioneer units that did everything i was wanting of them. Ended up buying a JVC unit over the Kenwood and Pioneer for no particular reason. All three could be landed in NZ for under $400 bucks and all three come with a 1 year warranty.
So now i wait for the JVC :)
Does anyone know what fitting kit i am looking for to go into the VY2?
Cheers

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Do you want to keep steering wheel controls (does the JVC allow this) ?

I had some good service, and pricing from Auto1 in Manurewa.

They can deliver nationwide as well.

The guy there helped me decide what I needed and determine the part numbers

If you want to keep steering wheel controls you would need the Aerpro steering wheel kit (this comes with the holden to ISO connector)

A JVC to ISO (may be the same as Alpine, if it is I have a spare one you can have for postage)

And the Head unit to steering wheel control lead.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Do you want to keep steering wheel controls (does the JVC allow this) ?

I had some good service, and pricing from Auto1 in Manurewa.

They can deliver nationwide as well.

The guy there helped me decide what I needed and determine the part numbers

If you want to keep steering wheel controls you would need the Aerpro steering wheel kit (this comes with the holden to ISO connector)

A JVC to ISO (may be the same as Alpine, if it is I have a spare one you can have for postage)

And the Head unit to steering wheel control lead.

Yeah the JVC keeps steering wheel controls but i'm pretty sure i'll need some sort of harness for it which i have emailed JVC about. I appreciate the offer of the ISO connector and if i need to i'll grab yours and throw you a bit more than just the postage. Still working through what i need. Cheers mate.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
No worries, I ended up with the wrong type, reordered the right type, got impatient, walked 2 factorys down to the local auto sparky and got another one. So I ended up with a few spare parts!

I also made the mistake of getting a holden to ISO so if you decide not to use the steering wheel adaptor I can send both of them.

BTW the steering wheel adaptor is about $150, the lead from JVC head unit to the steering wheel adaptor is about $50 just so you can compare to what JVC come back with.

The Aerpro ones are plug and play as well, which makes things a lot easier to set up!