Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Just came back from a 1500km round trip and half way through ended up cursing my SS's air conditioning.

I generally always use it on recirc while the AC is on, find it gets nice and cool inside. However after a while, it stops pumping out cold air... switched it off for a few minutes then tried again... after less than half an hour the air wasn't cold again.

On 35-38 degree days, I was cursing... thinking my AC was crapping itself. Then I decided to read the manual and found out that after an "extended period" (actual time not listed) of the AC being on recirc, the system automatically brings in fresh air.

OK I thought, that *might* be the problem, but I thought it would still cool that air... anyway for the rest of the trip I left it on non-recirc and didn't have a problem... air was always nice and cool.

Is this a little quirk of the VE AC system? Anyone else noticed the same issue?

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
it should only introduce some outside air in but keep cooling it

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
That's what I thought... after a while of being on recirc though, mine seems to just bring in outside air at its current temperature... certainly not cooled (hence my cursing yesterday)... but if I keep it on non-recirc then it cools it fine.... go figure.

V8s and beer

Everything else is trivia
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 R8 Clubsport LSA Tourer #0035
Hey Adza,
Yes, that has happened to me a few times in my SS. Exactly the same...turn off the recirc and it's fine.
No idea why......

Shamous69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09
now that u mention it occasionally i notice the air con temp raise for a minute or so then cool off.. i always keep it on recirc, but it hasn't been an issue so far touch wood

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
I had the same thing happen to my SV6 last week. about an hour and a half into the trip, it started getting warm. Some time after I later stopped, there was an abnormally large puddle of water under the car. When I took off again, no problems, cool again. I'm wondering if the condenser might have frozen up and blocked the airflow through the cooling fins..... I've had that happen before with other cars, especially on humid days.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Thanks guys, at least I know I'm not alone... I'm just going to leave it on outside air... and ask about it next service.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I had the same thing happen to my SV6 last week. about an hour and a half into the trip, it started getting warm. Some time after I later stopped, there was an abnormally large puddle of water under the car. When I took off again, no problems, cool again. I'm wondering if the condenser might have frozen up and blocked the airflow through the cooling fins..... I've had that happen before with other cars, especially on humid days.

If you take note, every time you use the A/C there is always water dripping from the drain beneath the car. It happens whilst driving onto the roadway, however when you park, the water will pool. Nothing unusual about that.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
If you are driving for a long time on the highway the compressor will turn itself off for a period of time to give power to the engine and to protect the compressor.

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
If you take note, every time you use the A/C there is always water dripping from the drain beneath the car. It happens whilst driving onto the roadway, however when you park, the water will pool. Nothing unusual about that.

I am aware of that, condensation forms in the system because the air temperature is lowered below dew point, this condensation drips out through the drain and pools beneath the car. On this particular occasion, the quantity of water pooled beneath the car was ABNORMALLY LARGE, as I stated. Also, it was after a period of time when the aircon had been operating normally for about an hour and a half then started blowing warm air ....the car had been parked for about an hour...ABNORMALLY LARGE puddle under the car when I returned to it. Plenty unusual about that.