Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Alan Mance Over Fill Oil

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My advice is to do a jigsaw or watch a movie. Do something to keep your mind busy. It’s not going to be your friend.
Get the data from it. Let’s take it from there.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
My advice is to do a jigsaw or watch a movie. Do something to keep your mind busy. It’s not going to be your friend.
Get the data from it. Let’s take it from there.
Okay, will do, put this at the back of my mind until I get the data

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Alrighty I have an update! I went to another holden dealership called The Motor Place, now they've told me the code P0391 was causing the engine light and that it is a cam sensor. Now upon first hearing this I thought that the sensor was actually doing its job and saying the timing wasn't 100% or maybe the actuator isn't functioning correctly and not putting Bank 1 into stage 2 of timing...

any who they recommended me to replace the sensor and that I will have to pay for it because it (apparently) has nothing to do with Alan Mance. $385 later I drive the car 50m up the road and it missed and is still way down on power, I took it back there and the service rep was ready to pull his hair out as I am 1 of 5 customers coming from Alan Mance to their shop.

Service rep said to just drive it for a day and see if it improves... sure enough 6:30pm an hour after they shut the engine light comes back on, on my way home from a friends house and still no improvement to the drivability of the car.

Called them today and they had a power outage so their having to sort all that stuff out, they will call me back when they can and book me car in again, I am pretty sure I won't be paying for the car to go in a second time to this place....

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I just want to remind everyone, that even when the car was making this horrible noise it still drove normally, perfectly in fact and ever since I got the car back from Alan Mance I have had nothing but issues, sure the noise is gone but there is clearly another issue that has been caused, whether it be because they pulled the motor apart, or their lack of competence... either way I just want to get this **** fixed lads <3 wish me luck

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Alright, another small update, let me know if I should stop posting these as I am going to keep updating until this issue is resolved, who knows, maybe this forum can save someone else a massive headache in the future.

Any who, The Motor Place had my car today and turns out the engine light code is the same one from last week, Bank 1 Intake Cam sensor. So this means that they want/need to take off the timing chain cover and have a real good look themselves. This Friday the 11th or Tuesday the 15th Daniel from the Motor Place is going to speak with his manager or boss who is not in until aforementioned dates.

Once that has happened I will be contacted and told whether or not this will be covered under warranty for them to pull apart the engine, Daniel reassured me they won't do any work that will cost without informing me thank god as I only have $300 to my name right now... things are tight and all of my money has gone into this car. I still blame Alan Mance Holden entirely, whether it be incompetence or dishonesty, the issue only came about after leaving their shop.

Will probably post another update Friday/Tuesday and I will let you know what the actual issue is and if there ever was metal shavings in the engine, the Motor Place will know, I trust them a little bit more than Alan Mance as I have no reason at the moment to not trust them. Again wish me luck lads and thank you all for your time again... means the world to me sincerely, when I am employed again I would like to meet some of you for a beer/coffee/hot chocolate! :)

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
For the cam sensor, a big conclusion to jump to to pull the cover without first testing the sensor.

You can do that. 10mm bolt holds it on. Unplug sensor. Undo bolt. Pull sensor out. Swap with other side sensor and see if the problem follows the swap.

Also give the all 4 sensors a good wipe down with a microfibre and brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner to remove any schmutz caked up on them, incase that’s what is causing it.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
For the cam sensor, a big conclusion to jump to to pull the cover without first testing the sensor.

You can do that. 10mm bolt holds it on. Unplug sensor. Undo bolt. Pull sensor out. Swap with other side sensor and see if the problem follows the swap.

Also give the all 4 sensors a good wipe down with a microfibre and brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner to remove any schmutz caked up on them, incase that’s what is causing it.
Ah well last week they replaced the sensor that was spitting the code because they reckon it was faulty (cost me $385) and the next day the same error code came up from the same sensor, which is why they want to investigate further.

I wish they did that test instead of putting a new sensor in -.-

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
All workshops should do the basic tests instead of parts swapping at the customers expense until the problem is solved.

Really unprofessional but excellent profit making. Really poor service. Good short term for the service centre. Bad for the service centre long term.

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
All workshops should do the basic tests instead of parts swapping at the customers expense until the problem is solved.

Really unprofessional but excellent profit making. Really poor service. Good short term for the service centre. Bad for the service centre long term.
Great, another service centre to avoid lol, I’m down to my last dollars and I’ve told the Motor Place I’m only able to do warranty work. So at least what ever they do from here on won’t cost me… well won’t cost me more anyways.

I took off the sensor they replaced and obviously it’s clean as, how ever the cam gear the sensor is directed at has some smut on it, easily comes off but I can’t clean the whole gear like this lol.

I’m pissed off because I asked Alan Mance to clean the front of the engine the best they can while they had it apart (and it says they did on the invoice) yet both bank 1 cam gears are dirty. The other sensor shows it age with stuff on it but I cleaned it.

About to drive the car now hopefully some improvements

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’d get a photo of that and email Alan Mance Holden with the evidence.

You can swap the sensors, there should be 4 all together so the fault should follow the sensor. You’d get a new code for a different position.

If the fault remains at that sensor position, I feel Allan Mance should take a look again at no expense to you.