Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Alan Mance Over Fill Oil

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
I’d get a photo of that and email Alan Mance Holden with the evidence.

You can swap the sensors, there should be 4 all together so the fault should follow the sensor. You’d get a new code for a different position.

If the fault remains at that sensor position, I feel Allan Mance should take a look again at no expense to you.
Yes well, Alan Mance told me that the engine code was the oil level sensor… ******* idiots…

It’s the motor place that has been honest with me and telling me that it’s the cam sensor, this friday the motor places manager will contact me and we will contact AlanMance together

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Many businesses simply dont understand Australian Consumer Law which requires service to be provided with due care and skill... Part replacement as a profitable diagnostics method doesnt fall under providing the sevice with due care and skill.

You have already paid to have the vehicle fault repaired so I'd expect Alan Mance should take ownership of their failure and actually repair your vehcile with no extra charges to you, else they can give a full refund of all monies paid and you can take the car somewhere more skilled and professional. Just be sure to tell them that the full refund doesn't absolve them of liability should it be discovered that their incompetance has resulted in subsequent damage for which they must pay....

Me, I'd want them to fix the vehicle at no cost to me, by putting their most skilled and senior mechanic on that task, since i paid for it to be fixed already... Oh, and they can provide a loan car until they sort out their fcukups...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
............ and this is why Holden customers lost faith in Holden service centres.
Keep replacing parts until they run out of ideas, or replace a $2 part which is then incompatible with a $20 part which has been superceeded, which then leads to a $200 part + labour.
The challenge is to decide when to call enough to them, and find an independent service centre that you can trust who will look a bit further than the codes.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Many businesses simply dont understand Australian Consumer Law which requires service to be provided with due care and skill... Part replacement as a profitable diagnostics method doesnt fall under providing the sevice with due care and skill.

You have already paid to have the vehicle fault repaired so I'd expect Alan Mance should take ownership of their failure and actually repair your vehcile with no extra charges to you, else they can give a full refund of all monies paid and you can take the car somewhere more skilled and professional. Just be sure to tell them that the full refund doesn't absolve them of liability should it be discovered that their incompetance has resulted in subsequent damage for which they must pay....

Me, I'd want them to fix the vehicle at no cost to me, by putting their most skilled and senior mechanic on that task, since i paid for it to be fixed already... Oh, and they can provide a loan car until they sort out their fcukups...

I have just gone through this thread again...Alan Mance didn't replace the cam sensor....

Looking at post #27, this page https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alan-mance-over-fill-oil.293445/page-3, it was mentioned the timing chain was stretched by Alan Mance....

Post #83 and #85, this page https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alan-mance-over-fill-oil.293445/page-9 it appears the motor place has had something to do with the cam sensor....I have found nothing suggesting Alan Mance touched the cam sensor...In fact it appears like the motor place replaced the sensor so it's the Motor Place that should be wearing the cost and crap for the shoddy workmanship as mentioned in post #83...Not Alan Mance...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I have just gone through this thread again...Alan Mance didn't replace the cam sensor....

Looking at post #27, this page https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alan-mance-over-fill-oil.293445/page-3, it was mentioned the timing chain was stretched by Alan Mance....

Post #83 and #85, this page https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alan-mance-over-fill-oil.293445/page-9 it appears the motor place has had something to do with the cam sensor....I have found nothing suggesting Alan Mance touched the cam sensor...In fact it appears like the motor place replaced the sensor so it's the Motor Place that should be wearing the cost and crap for the shoddy workmanship as mentioned in post #83...Not Alan Mance...
Yeah you're correct in that "The Motor Place" replaced the cam sensor. Guess i got confused cause i remembered the early part of the thread where OP stated
I’ve had easily the worst experience with Alan Mance but that’s a yarn for another day.
Ah well this would be really annoying for context I just spent $2500 and hoped for decent quality work being a Holden dealership.
So Alan Mance isn't without some obligations around their poor service... If you read through post #27 you may notice that AM did the timing chain and couldn't resolve the intermittant noise which OP later identified as a chain tensioner pooing itself... and it seems the chains weren't streached...

I'd have thought chain jobs would have included new tensioners so such an early failure must be on them... Heck even if they reused the old tensioner, your expect the experts to do a good inspection and determine it's safe to reuse... And wouldn't they check the chain length to confirm the streach? I see it as a tripple fckup from them either way...

Reality is it doesn't change the tone of my post whether it was "The Motor Place" or "Alan Mance" as OP is rather unhappy about his service experiance with both these mobs.

The truth is many businesses really aren't across their ACL obligations and sadfly neither are many buyers of their **** service.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah you're correct in that "The Motor Place" replaced the cam sensor. Guess i got confused cause i remembered the early part of the thread where OP stated

So Alan Mance isn't without some obligations around their poor service... If you read through post #27 you may notice that AM did the timing chain and couldn't resolve the intermittant noise which OP later identified as a chain tensioner pooing itself... and it seems the chains weren't streached...

I'd have thought chain jobs would have included new tensioners so such an early failure must be on them... Heck even if they reused the old tensioner, your expect the experts to do a good inspection and determine it's safe to reuse... And wouldn't they check the chain length to confirm the streach? I see it as a tripple fckup from them either way...

Reality is it doesn't change the tone of my post whether it was "The Motor Place" or "Alan Mance" as OP is rather unhappy about his service experiance with both these mobs.

The truth is many businesses really aren't across their ACL obligations and sadfly neither are many buyers of their **** service.

Easy to be confused, with the thread title.... :)

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Easy to be confused, with the thread title.... :)
Yes… apologies for the confusion but this problem has spanned over 4 weeks and cost me almost $3000.

for a tldr, AM never found the cause of the sound, how ever replacing the chains and tensioners fixed the sound as they replaced the faulty tensioner per my request.

All AM did in terms of diagnosis, was tell me they found metal shavings under my valve covers and in the sump.Which I debunked as I dropped the oil twice before giving the car to AM and ran the old oil through a filter and found nothing. Also the oil filter was clean.

AM just wanted to sell me an engine, The Motor Place so far seems to just be extremely cautious… or also incompetent. I do have a trusted recommendation for an independent mechanic, how ever I literally cannot afford anything to be done to the car.

so I have no choice but to jump through these hoops for now… I’m hoping to have a job in a few weeks but that’s uncertain at this stage…

Tiny_Rick

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
TO WRAP IT ALL UP IN CONCLUSION, I am happy to report that the car is running 100%. For those interested in what happened after the last post read below and check the attachment to read Alan Mance's super in-depth statement, Thank you to everyone who came along for the ride and shared their advice, thoughts and experiences with me. It certainly helped me keep a level head and stopped me from feeling like I was insane. I wish you all a great week end and I certainly wish to hang out with you legends some time in the future!

I had the intake camshaft sensor replaced as that is what the engine light code was pointing to and it is what The Motor Place had recommended, this did not fix the issue of the car running poorly. The Motor Place then offered to tear down and inspect what Alan Mance had done, but since Alan Mance had written in the invoice that there was "Metal Shavings" in my engine; this voided all warranties and it would cost me $1,000 for The Motor Place to carry out the work.

Not satisfied with this and loss of patience brought me back around to kicking Alan Mance up the arse to fix their **** up, of course Alan Mance tried to pull another fast one on me and tried yet again to tell me my engine is toast and I need a new one (Without even seeing the car for a month) and they refused to offer me a loan car as they said they want the car for 2 days. I told them that this is unacceptable and they're breaching ACL and I will be going to the Motor Ombudsmen unless they rectify their wrongs or prove to me that there was indeed metal shavings or that the car is running this way due to an unrelated cause.

Very quickly they "found" a loan car and wanted to look at my car for free, this is where it gets spicy, they had my car for a day and a half, they rang me and said she is all good to go and completely fixed... The problem you might be curious? They told me that the cam sensor (they wouldn't tell me which cam sensor when I asked multiple times they just said "the cam sensor") was out of tolerance and needed to be adjusted as it was too far away from the Cam itself and not functioning as intended. Mind you this is a brand new sensor that had just been replaced a week ago by The Motor Place (A registered Holden dealership/Mechanics) and the said sensor is only held in by a 10mm bolt, no adjustment there...

Furthermore they tried to blame The Motor Place and said the installed the sensor incorrectly and it is impossible for Alan Mance to have made the mistake because "They know the tolerances and basically wrote the book on installing these sensors." Not to mention the car was running like this before I took it to The Motor Place so explain that one... they couldn't lmao. The Motor Place was made aware of Alan Mances statements via a phone call from me to the Manager, he was obviously quite pissed and wanted me to bring them the car so they can look at it and judge what they actually did to my car since adjusting a sensor (if it was adjustable in the first place which it isn't (Alan Mance said it is adjustable from a ring of some sort?)) should not take more than a day to do. Upon the managers visual inspection he found they swapped the intake and exhaust sensors around, he believes it is possible they actually took the timing chain cover off and adjusted the timing or fixed what ever they stuffed up and don't want to admit their mistakes so they told me the whole sensor thingo, but impossible to tell from an external view and clearly it is not worth pulling it apart to investigate when the car is running 100% now.

Attachments

• image_2022-04-02_163311.png
    image_2022-04-02_163311.png
    170.3 KB · Views: 114

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The sensor can't be adjusted. It simply bolts in. There is no adjustment. It is centred by the seal. It is held down by the 10mm bolt. Exhaust and intake sensors are interchangable.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 2.02.12 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 2.02.23 pm.png

There is no adjustment and that is from Holdens own information.
They have done something else and what ever it was it’s fixed.

Last edited: