Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy wheel noise. Is this possible.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Geez, that’s about the first time I think I have heard Michelin PS4S’s being regarded as a poor decision!!
Mine aren’t noisy, others here don’t seem to think they are noisy? Perhaps they have changed in some aspect, mine are a few years old now but only have 9000 km on them. They are easily the best tyres I have had.

mine aren't noisy at all. Got me wondering how much quieter you can go!?

JakovHard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 Ute
Geez, that’s about the first time I think I have heard Michelin PS4S’s being regarded as a poor decision!!
Mine aren’t noisy, others here don’t seem to think they are noisy? Perhaps they have changed in some aspect, mine are a few years old now but only have 9000 km on them. They are easily the best tyres I have had.
I am not suggesting they are bad tyres. Simply, I don't drive hard thus a quieter tyre with adequate grip etc. is more suitable for me personally. These make noise driving at 50KPH on bitumen and I don't enjoy it.

It is what it is.

But thank you for all your input. I will keep in mind the other tyre recommendations when these reach replacement time.

I will add, I bought Niche Misano alloys and due to NZ's importer limited range of offsets and colours, I didn't achieve the look I was going for.

I have taken notice of the Australian made Koya's and their decent range of offsets. Again, the importer of Koya here have a pathetic range of colours and offsets. I am willing and capable of paying extra and importing them directly from Australia. I may do this sooner rather than later and flog the existing off on Trade me.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I don't understand this question. If they are directional you'd find that the left side would be on backwards and the right side correct (or vice versa). Can you buy lefthand tires and righthand tires? I've never heard of it.

Directional tyres have an arrow, which shows the direction the tread travels.....If the tyres are put on the wrong side, for the direction of the tyre, they are classed as running backwards....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
never mind, a directional tyre can be fitted backwards (on the wall you see a "this side out" marking). I forgot the PS4 isn't directional - you think i'd know i have PS4S on my car.

Assemetrical tyres have an in and out...Directional tyres have the arrow

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Most tyre reviews will rate the noise characteristic as part of the review, so those who are interested in this aspect can check out reviews to get an idea of what to expect.

I used to design roads for a living when I was much younger and can say that the road surface in your area also plays a big part in noise.

Hotmix used in cities and larger urban areas is much quieter than say a spray seal over coarse aggregate used on rural roads and towns plus there are many other additives mixed with the emulsion that will also make a difference.

I've tried a lot of tyre brands and never noticed the PS4 to be particularly noisy, I guess it could also be a case of we hear things differently.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I used to design roads for a living
So did you get kickbacks from tyre manufacturers to include pot holes in your roads :eek:
We now know who to blame :p:p:p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
So did you get kickbacks from tyre manufacturers to include pot holes in your roads :eek:
We now know who to blame :p:p:p

I'm old school and learnt my trade in the bush designing actual roads unlike the city folk who only learn restoration.

A lot of city engineers have very little working knowledge of soil mechanics.

You need to address the base material to fix potholes, filling them with hotmix after every rain episode only means they come back the next time.

Blame the lack of government funding to allow proper correction if you want someone to blame. :)

If a pothole destroys your tyre, contact your local Council, some actually do reimburse you.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm old school and learnt my trade in the bush designing actual roads unlike the city folk who only learn restoration.

A lot of city engineers have very little working knowledge of soil mechanics.

You need to address the base material to fix potholes, filling them with hotmix after every rain episode only means they come back the next time.

Blame the lack of government funding to allow proper correction if you want someone to blame. :)

If a pothole destroys your tyre, contact your local Council, some actually do reimburse you.
It was a joke... and anyway, designing roads is dirt easy :p:p:p

Really, I can't blame designers who work with the silly constraints imposed by accountants and lawyers (accountants casue money, lawyers cause contact only says road must last x years) :eek:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It was a joke... and designing roads is dirt easy :p:p:p

Really, I can't blame designers who work with the silly constraints imposed by accountants and lawyers (accountants casue money, lawyers cause contact only says road must last x years) :eek:

I know you were joking, I was just expanding for those who wonder why potholes only ever get short term fixes.

Plus I'm long ago ex-local government, there's not much you could say about being lazy or incompetent that I have already heard.

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
I had replaced the Chinese built Maximus M1 (car yard fitted) tyres with Michelin PS4 on my CV8 and noticed how much quieter they are, and better steering response.

Size 235/40 - 18.