Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another Cycling Incident - Brisbane Cyclist Mowed Down

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
My question would be why the cyclist wasn't as far to the left as possible?

Another question for me is that are urban roads getting to congested and unsafe for cyclists?

In my home town a local was recent knocked off his bike a 100km rural road area where there is almost no run off on the side of the road. His comment to the local paper was that on rural roads car should not be allowed to travel at 100km an hour. To me this sums up the self centered opinion of some cyclists. Another cyclist wrote into the paper asking why the other cyclist was riding on a road that most other cyclists avoid due to the lack of run off on the side of the road in the first place.

Shows that there are good and bad on every side of the coin. Our rural road is a very popular walking track, the arrogance I see there, people walking in the middle of the road and not moving over. I often have words with them and remind them they are walking in the middle of a road barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass with a 100km/h speed limit, and ask them if they have a death wish, my father in law just plays the get the f#$k out of my way game!

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
I liked DARREN'S comments a page back,shame that he is in the minority or lesser percentage at least of cyclists and their attitudes on roads designed for vehicles that comfortably do 60km/h plus(add those fluffing underpowered moped things too,they suck almost bigger balls).
The ones that get up my nose are the 3 abreast on main roads,you know the tour de france wannabes,dressed like LANCE the drug cheat Armstrong all lycra'd up lmao!
Would argue their rights on public roads not paying registration and all personally but I guess it works out ok most of the time.

Not condoning the drivers actions at all btw thats just plain dumb/reckless etc..

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I am a cyclist myself and see stupidity and arrogance from both sides
I agree with some comments here that whilst cyclists do legally have equal rights on the road as motor vehicles, they need to use common sense.
I simply won't ride on an unsafe road where there isn't sufficient room for a bike and a vehicle. I will take a longer route if necessary. Safety to me is paramount but also courtesy to other vehicles on the road.

I use bike lanes and paths where possible, however bike paths are often blocked with parked cars. Footpaths are blocked with cars parked across them and pedestrians who refuse to move to one side, despite frantic ringing of my bell. I just get abused as I am forced onto the grass/dirt trying to pass them (not a particularly safe maneuver on a road bike). Pedestrians will completely block shared paths that are 4 metres wide. They have no consideration for cyclists even when we ring the bell to pass - we constantly get abused by them. So sometimes I am forced to use the road. And I will stick the very edge of the shoulder where possible in order to minimise inconvenience to cars. And in most cases, motorists are very good, they pass me leaving me a safe distance.

So far this is the most sensible post

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Klumpp road is pretty hektic with traffic as well.

The one that really gets to me are the lycra clad old men that clog up Coronation Drive in the morning, when there is a damn purpose built bike lane below the road running along the river!!!!!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Or the same idiot cyclists for that matter.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I rest my case
there's no merit in charging cyclists rego, it will change nothing

Could make it easier to report bad riding, maybe if there was consequences for poor road behaviour for cyclists...

Here is NZ if you see someone being a twat you can call *555 and report them, the get a letter saying "someone was so concerned with your driving that they reported you...."

Some/most motorists/cyclists obviously don't know they are being twats.

SM1D3Y

aka Drew
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
Out of curiosity what are the rules for Cyclists riding in packs on the roads ?