Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another fuel pump question

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
If you stick to the OE set-up there should be no problems.
Reading your post brings up a question for me though.
Does the 'lift pump' use the same cradle as the single pump set-up...
In my TR, no, the two pumps are on separate cradles connected by a short length of Gates Barricade.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
2 pumps=twice the headaches (and cost).
When Holden figured they could do the job with 1 pump, guess what happened to the second one...
Over engineered for the application.
I can understand if you want stock looking though.
Long ownership there, props.

Certainly long ownership.....feel like, it's part of the family lol. Truth is I had access to company vehicles alot of the time so it just sat.....maybe I'd take it out every couple of weeks, always registered.

Always ran well with its many minor quirks and only briefly left me stranded twice over 30 years both times including recently due to the module so around 10 years ago decided, since I wasn't in the auto trade and the opportunity for me to start from scratch to build up a classic or muscle car is limited to give it a mild resto. Parts were plentiful and cheap even at Holden.

At the time they were going for about 5k......anyway didn't care for value grew up with Aussie cars and wanted a connection......would be comfortable even if it was worth 500 dollars. Anyway Australian cars are no more and they have become collectable so a good decision.

Our cars certainly get noticed. Had the experience in a Sydney car park a few months ago where squeezing in between a new Merc and Audi the older Chinese guy getting out of his 200k Mercedes looks at mine and says "very interesting car, must be a special order".

So not knowing how to answer initially just said. Yeah, special order.

Last edited:

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
So @MikeC I take it you replaced your 2 pump set up in your Statesman with a single pump.

Any difference starting or otherwise?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
So @MikeC I take it you replaced your 2 pump set up in your Statesman with a single pump.

Any difference starting or otherwise?
No , the Statesman has always had one in-tank pump. In 30 odd years of ownership it's failed once-had to replace the original with a second hand VP pump in Benalla at about the 300,000km mark.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
No , the Statesman has always had one in-tank pump. In 30 odd years of ownership it's failed once-had to replace the original with a second hand VP pump in Benalla at about the 300,000km mark.
That's interesting given I suppose with the longer wheelbase fuel has longer to travel in the Statesman.

I suppose then the 2 pumps and larger regulator was for the supposedly sporty SS even though advertisied KW was the same.

Maybe they suppose SS drivers are more leadfooted.

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
That's interesting given I suppose with the longer wheelbase fuel has longer to travel in the Statesman.

I suppose then the 2 pumps and larger regulator was for the supposedly sporty SS even though advertisied KW was the same.

Maybe they suppose SS drivers are more leadfooted.
Yep, it might have been for better fuel scavenging when cornering.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, it might have been for better fuel scavenging when cornering.

Didn't think of that.

Like I said previously it ran okay just with internal pump.

I suppose then if it failed if one wanted to keep a stock feel I wonder what the correct external pump would be?

Remember looking once before and only seeing genuine internal ones .

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Keep it stock. If you want a 100% capacity spare pump piped in permanently they have to be in parallel with discharge check valves- OK for aircraft , not needed for cars.