Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another VY V6 no spark thread, inconclusive diagnosis, no similar cases

twentyfouroz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY and VX wagon
Last Tuesday my VY wagon just stopped dead, no sputter or cough, just immediate loss of power and a coast to a stop. It was a hot day, and my instant assessment before I'd even lifted the bonnet was the Crank Position sensor. I tried to crank it, but no go, so I let it sit for 20 minutes then poured some water around the harmonic balancer( yup, it's a, Ecotech right of passage, isn't it? :D ) and tried again. With no joy I caved and called the RAA, and they arrived about 40 minutes later. The mechanic also tried the cold water trick to no avail, so he plugged into the ODB port for a look see. I had no engine warning on the dash, but he said the code indicated a CPS failure. Since that's kinda what I was expecting, I just accepted that to be the case. Got it towed, and that night I pulled the fan, and then pulled the balancer.

Early the next morning I picked up a new CPS and a new CAS from my local old school parts store, raced home, and fitted them. I had it all back together in an hour and was all set to head off to work... but I was going NOWHERE. With everything replaced and plugged back in, I still could not get it to kick. At that point I decided I'd swap the Ignition module and coils over with spares I had on my old cooked engine, to see if it made any difference... it didn't. I then decided to see if the Fuel pump was running, so I pulled the relay and bridged it, and it definitely was running. I then swapped over the ignition relay as it might have been an easy win, but no joy. Called a mechanic mate who owns the same model wagon, and he laughed and told me he'd had one brand new Crank Position sensor out of the box DOA, and another that lasted 2 days. So I pulled everything off again and swapped the CPS and CAS for the ones off of my old motor. Put it all back together... still no kick. This morning I pulled the balancer and the shroud. then undid the bolts for the CPS and the CAS. I then got a multimeter and a pin into the rear of the plug on the CPS, and tested for 12V and 3x and 18x pulses by waving a screwdriver through the gaps. I could see the voltage dropping from 5.5 to 0 whenever I tickled it. I then did the same with the CAS and a fridge magnet, and it behaved as expected. So at the point I was convinced that both sensors were getting 12V from the ignition module, and both were sending pulses back. Here's where it gets weird.

Going off this guide, the pins on either side of the Ignition module plug fastener are the 3x and 18x pulses. I plugged my MM into the back, and if I slowly turned the crank ( long arm and socket on the balancer bolt ), I could see the volts going up to 5.5V, down, up, down as I turned the crank for the 18x. On the 3x pin though, it never dips... just stays at 5.5V the whole time. Now, had it just stayed at 0v I'd maybe look for a short to ground on that wire, so in this case you'd maybe conclude it was open between the Ignition module and the CPS... but I get continuity if I test it unplugged. That has got me wondering if something on that input has fritzed in the ECU, like a protection diode or something.
Before I go THERE though, has anyone seen anything like this, an immediate shutdown and subsequent no start that was NOT caused by the Crank Position Sensor, Cam angle sensor, the igniton module, the coil packs, or fuel? This one has me scratching! Thanks in advance for your insight. :)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
To clarify, no kick means cranking but not starting?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If there is no 3x signal it won't start.

Do you have access to a spare CAS sensor? If so, plug it in and use a bit of steel to simulate the blades behind the balancer and see if you get a 3x signal that way.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Yes, happened to me 2 weeks ago...no 18x signal.
I ended up putting a new CAS (crank angle sensor) and a new DFI module on but still no start.
I did those checks and all was good, except for the 3x signal not going to 0 volts but I found I had put the wire probe in position J.
When I put it in the right position 3x checked out ok...but still no start.
I ended up taking the black plastic cover off of the DFI connector and stripping back the insulation tape and straightened out the harness.

After doing that it started up and I haven't had a problem since (touch wood!) so give the harness a little love especially where it doglegs.

Reactions: Lex

twentyfouroz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY and VX wagon
Thanks for the replies, I spent a very hot Saturday under the hood, and I finally got to the bottom of it. The curveball was that after fitting a new Crank Position Sensor, then reverting to an older, spare one ( and swapping over the Ignition module and coils ) I figured it was likely the ECU or wiring. BUT I *thought* I had continuity in all wires from the sensor plugs to the Ignition module plug. When I re-tested it, I *did not* have continuity in the 3x sensor wire. I then pulled off the harmonic balancer, and got to work unwrapping the wiring loom, so that I could visually trace each sensor wire over its length. Upon checking the 3x wire ( blue / yellow ), about halfway I found a rub-through where the wrapping and cover had failed. I guess 15,000 heat cycles and 380,000 km of engine shaking will do that! It was right in behind the idler pulley.

wiring1.jpg

I cut out all the damaged sections of wire, and replaced with fresh cable. Soldered / heatshrunk the joints, then I taped it all up, and replaced the corrugated spit tubing. I made sure it was all well clear of the belt and pullies, and well secured.

wiring2.jpg

Put it all back together, turned the key and it started like nothing had ever happened. Hopefully this adds to the "my VY won't start" body of knowledge! :D

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
looks like the wire had rubbed on a pulley or belt

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I had something similar happen but on a different cable bundle on a +12v feed wire that would randomly short out when hitting a bump temporarily shutting down the engine. The cables were rubbing on the PS pump pulley but when you looked under the bonnet there always looked to be plenty of clearance.

Reactions: Lex