Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any advice on what to look for when buying a VS

B

bexx79

I am looking at buying a VS (getting rid of the old VK)
Does anyone have any advice on what I should be looking for in the way of faults, or any problems to watch out for? Any advice appreciated!!!! ;)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you buy one with low mileage from a genuine private seller who has owned it from new and has all receipts/logbooks then you are off to a good start. They do exist.
Sure thing - you can buy a good car from a dealer. Remember, as soon as you express interest in the car on the lot he will start the sales pitch with his main aim being not to let you off the lot till you buy the car. They can be very very convincing. GMH dealers will have the best cars but at premium prices. My bet is always buy private....do a REVS check and get the RACV or a mech to check it out. Take your time and dont be rushed...there is always another car. Good Luck.

B

bexx79

I am sick of jack ass dealers (not all are jack ass) trying to pull one over on me just cause I'm a chick, so I want to go fully prepared. I have seen one from a GMH dealer for $7999 (I think it's a bit much) it's got 175,000kms and a three year warranty? But because I am used to older cars 86 and below I really don't know what I am looking at under the bonnet, there is so many gadgets and gizmos under there I don't know what to look at? Should the RACV checks be trusted or do they skip things that are'nt obvious?

jazzfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Wagon man.
bexx79 said:
I am sick of jack ass dealers (not all are jack ass) trying to pull one over on me just cause I'm a chick, so I want to go fully prepared. I have seen one from a GMH dealer for $7999 (I think it's a bit much) it's got 175,000kms and a three year warranty? But because I am used to older cars 86 and below I really don't know what I am looking at under the bonnet, there is so many gadgets and gizmos under there I don't know what to look at? Should the RACV checks be trusted or do they skip things that are'nt obvious?

G'day Bexx,

I just bought one (VS) for $8000 with 120k on it - and I think I paid a bit too much... But then again, if I get eight years out of it like the VL it replaced I'll be more than happy.

There certainly is a lot of stuff under the bonnet these days (I used to think the VL was crowded!) Look carefully for leaks (from underneath as well).

There should be zero/zilch/absolutely no rust at that price, and the car would want to be in almost showroom condition (Check very carefully for paint overspray and/or masking tape residue - which would indicate the car has been in a prang).

The car should feel 'tight', and the motor shouldn't have tappet noise or blow any smoke whatsoever.

If you look hard enough, well looked after VS's are about.

These were on my daily ritual for weeks while I looked foir mine:
http://autotrader.com.au/search.asp
http://www.drive.com.au/used/search/advanced.aspx
http://www.carsales.com.au/

Good luck!

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
air bags. some vs have them some don't.

jazzfan said:
I just bought one (VS) for $8000 with 120k on it - and I think I paid a bit too much

Relative to me you didn't. Just bought a VS wagon with 133k on it for $8940.

In good nick inside and out, very smooth thing to drive, don't mind going up 1 or 2 grand and avoiding the 200K vehicles which are getting to be half way there. Just did a fuel thing and it worked out at 9.8 lts/100km
Was a fairly quick purchase due to the wife writing the VN off. Stuffed up with the air bags is all. It's an executive. Think acclaim is the way go for those.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As a female, you are automatically classed as knowing nothing about mechanical things (which really applies to most males/females). Use this to your advantage. As I said before, if you buy privately you are talking to the owner who is not out to rip you off. He/she will probably be selling privately and not as a "trade in" because the trade in price is always ridicuulously low. They figure (and rightly so), that this car which they have owned and looked after since new is worth a hell of a lot more....and it is. The private seller will not object to a RACQ test...if they do then they have something to hide. Always offer at least 10% below the asking price. Be friendly with the private seller as he/she wants their car which they have cherished since new to go to the right person.....and if they like you and think the car would have a good home with you then you'll be able to bargain. Pick faults and the guard goes up and prices firm. Be genuinely friendly and you cannot lose. I sell and buy privately and always take 10% off my selling price even if the buyer does not want to make an offer and is willing to pay the asking price. So on a $2000 car I'll hand them $200 as they leave and tell them I took into account 10% baqrgaining leeway and here it is for you to buy flowers for your mum/girlfriend. Everyone is happy.
RACV/RACQ are to be trusted!!!! Take your time, look at plenty and never never regret your purchase. Good Luck

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I forgot to say, don't be fooled by a 3 year warranty - generally they are a way of forcing the purchaser to have all their services done at their premises and at their prices. And when something breaks you have to prove it is covered by the warranty. They are in no way a sense of security and certainly not an indication that the car is in good condition.

B

bexx79

So can you get RACV checks done if the car is being sold at a dealership?

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Buying a used VS

Hi,

I recently went through the same thing. My last car was virtually mission critical electronics free and I had no idea about what to look for under the bonnet or body of a VS. I found the following extremely useful:

1) Checking the Redbook price and average mileage for that model.

2) Whether Private or Dealer, get an independent mechanic to perform a complete check of the vehicle prior to making a decision. Have the mechanic give you a full written list of identifiable problems - some will be roadworthy issues, others will not. If the vendor does not want to let a mechanic look at the car then they are probably hiding something. The dealer I bought from wouldn't let the car into another mechanics shop (liability issues) but was happy to let my mechanic do a full inspection on site. He had a workshop with a hoist attached so this was no worries. I have a customer history with my mechanic and he understood my needs. He sent one of his boys (former RACQ inspector) home early to swing past the yard and check it all out.

Hand this list to the potential supplier of the vehicle. If he/ she is a dealer they will have to address all the roadworthy issues (tyres, seals, bearings, rings, rust, pulleys etc.) and any of the non roadworthy ones you can squeeze out of them (faulty aircon switches, rattles and so on). If it a private sale then this is your negotiating point. Your mechanic should be able to tell how much it will cost to fix it all.

If the yard or individual is supplying the vehicle in a "roadworthy" condition make sure it is. It is worth paying a hundred or two in the long run. Our mechanic turned our first choice down after we handed the dealer (a different one) the list of required roadworthy fixes. The dealer said he would fix all the things. He even drove it himself to my mechanics for a "post fix" second look. He had hadly fixed a thing, including the leaking gasket dripping oil onto the handbrake - rendering the handbrake useless, or the leaking main seal that my mechanic spotted instantly. (have to pull the gearbox to replace) $$$ Needless to say, we walked away happily.

3) Don't buy any warranty from the yard. They almost always will have some crazy way out of nearly everything you would expect from a warranty and when something does go wrong (like say a gearbox) they will say something like that it has 150 000 on it, and the warranty is only for failure due to poor manufacturing/ parts quality and not normal wear and tear.

4) What you've already done - find all the forums and search'n'lurk.

5) Don't expect everything to be ideal. Make a list of the things that you can change yourself or get easily fixed. For example, rust is not often easily or cheaply fixed but some dents can be. Worn seats can be retrimmed or covered, but replacing them if the springs are gone could cost more than you are willing to pay.

6) Don't pay for someone elses crappy mods. If you want Pods, Monster Tachos or Exhaust Tip then get them yourself. It can be more fun doing it yourself anyway.

Hope this helps - I see three other posts since I started writing, almost covering everything I have said...

Good Luck.

Struma

B

bexx79

I'm glad I posted this thread, Thanks everyone, very helpful.
Also wondering (prob in wrong section) but someone might be able to help, I will be selling my 84 VK wagon, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on a good selling price?
It has: Tinted Windows (some scratches on back window tint), Mags (not sure what they are but they are pretty common 5 star spoke), Alarm with central locking and immobiliser, Dual fuel, almost new (bout 12mths) Pioneer Cd player with MP3 and detach head unit, Pioneer speakers in doors, Roof racks, tow bar, the tailgate has some rust, black motor, rego till end of Dec06, Othrwise it's a pretty clean car,
What do you think........anyone give me somthing to go on?