Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Drifters here?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Pretty sure you're on proutes aren't you mate? Either way this is Jarrads (Toast) VZ SS ute a winton a little while back, this is his daily and it was an LS1 at the time so it is doable.

Last edited by a moderator:

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
pretty sure its just basic too, CAI, cam, exhaust n tune with the cage and King springs. 25mm bolt on spacers up front to widen the track
Thanks for the info Ducker and the rest yeah mines already got a full exhaust and kings needs a otr/tune and redo off the fluids and just a good tune up and brakes,spark plugs etc.

I am keen to go and chuck it on a skid pan to see how it handles before i start to put some coin in to it. It's going to a be a low budget build/brokeass build so no fancy coil overs yet and mostly second parts so what fits etc. I'm in QLD i would like to do one of those drift schools but I'd just be crap no one wants to see a Ute going backwards.

Once i get some confidence then I'd look in to it maybe even enter some sort of event. My main goal is just to have fun and not make it in to a serious thing. I have to do a build thread once i get better pics and clean the Ute first.

Yeah that's me Sandman il check it out maybe see if i can get some tips and tricks from him. It's good to see people are in to it i thought i was going to s#%t for doing a daily/drift Ute.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You can get anything to drift, it's all about the technique. 100kw SRs, Ecotecs, hell, I have a mate who even drifts a Honda Prelude.

The real challenge here is seeing if any of the aforementioned drivers can do anything with a car that has 150kw or less. All these drivers have (and rely on) the power, but it doesn't mean they have any good technique.

For reference: this is an R32 with a bog stock RB20, probably no more than 120kw ATW>:

Last edited by a moderator:

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
The real challenge here is seeing if any of the aforementioned drivers can do anything with a car that has 150kw or less. All these drivers have (and rely on) the power, but it doesn't mean they have any good technique.

Really?? Drifting a V8 compared to a turbo 4 (or any other turbo) is completely different and like comparing RWD drifts to AWD.

Ask any Pro formula D driver and they'll tell you drifting N/A V8s I'd referred to as 'lazy' as the power band is greater and it's less work to control the car (less hand brake needed and no worry about the turbo spooling) the OP is only interested in his VY SS and not techniques to slide a turbo S13 etc.

The suspension is key to getting the grip so you have full control of the car. You'll need 0 degrees rear camber and most guys seem to have -4 to -6 front camber and some form on modified steering lock/racks. Stiff King HD springs would be idel on a budget and then look at stiffer bushes and sway bars etc

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Really?? Drifting a V8 compared to a turbo 4 (or any other turbo) is completely different and like comparing RWD drifts to AWD.

No it's not. Not talking just turbo, I'm talking N/A 4AGs, SRs and RBs as well.

Ask any Pro formula D driver and they'll tell you drifting N/A V8s I'd referred to as 'lazy' as the power band is greater and it's less work to control the car (less hand brake needed and no worry about the turbo spooling) the OP is only interested in his VY SS and not techniques to slide a turbo S13 etc.

This is my point exactly. Having the power makes it much easier, but it doesn't make you a better driver. Look at the two previous posted Commodore videos, heaps of power, but they're still spinning out and snapping back. Their driving skills won't be transferable to something else that doesn't have the power to match. Not trying to **** stir here (thought he had an Ecotec for some reason, not an SS), but for some reason people (particularly Australians/Americans) go for big power over suspension setup and skill.

The suspension is key to getting the grip so you have full control of the car. You'll need 0 degrees rear camber and most guys seem to have -4 to -6 front camber and some form on modified steering lock/racks. Stiff King HD springs would be idel on a budget and then look at stiffer bushes and sway bars etc

Wouldn't worry too much about lock spacers/knuckles/rack, just as long as you get out there and give it a go. Doing more with less will get you further.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Who has an ecotec? Thought I read the OP has an SS

Wouldn't worry too much about lock spacers/knuckles/rack, just as long as you get out there and give it a go. Doing more with less will get you further.

agreed with the knuckles etc but think lock spacers may be worth a go in a street car with stiff suspension and a correct wheel alignment for the track.

End of the day a Commodore will be harder to drift because the suspension is worlds apart from the Nissans etc... but it is possible

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Who has an ecotec? Thought I read the OP has an SS

Yeah, I misread.

agreed with the knuckles etc but think lock spacers may be worth a go in a street car with stiff suspension and a correct wheel alignment for the track.

End of the day a Commodore will be harder to drift because the suspension is worlds apart from the Nissans etc... but it is possible

Lock spacers are good (they do help a lot in car parks), but nobody makes them for Commodores. On top of that, I'm not sure if there would be enough thread left on the tie rod for it to screw in enough. They're cast into the ball joins of most aftermarket Nissan rods now. Lucky for the Commodores though that they run a decent amount of castor.

For the same reason the real let down is the suspension, but not just because of the design. Nobody with a clue has put together a package where you can choose your own spring rates and have the dampers valved to match. Even if you could just choose the spring rates that would be head and shoulders above anything that's out there now. King Springs will help, but they'll be far from anything good (they make my S14 handle like a boat). It's changing now with the VE because of the combined spring and shock.