Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any electricians here ? Off peak meter question..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Our hot water went cold and rang electrician. he said to have a look at the off peak meter and flick the little switch. I flicked it and the water heated up again, Magic !!
I had to cut some type of security seals off the screws to open it ... do they need to be replaced so i don't get accused of tampering ? and do i leave that switch on now lol.?? cheers

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I wouldn't think you are allowed to tamper with security seals.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
hoho you maybe right, but i had an electricians screwdriver so hopefully that makes it ok doesn't it ?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
yeah, prob shouldnt be playing with the seals

just means that when the electrical suply authority comes around and reads your meter, they will have to re-seal it. but in the future, next time dont do that, one day of cold water wont hurt you. do it to many times and they get suspisious,

cracker

Reaction score
ahh..what do you mean? if ur saying u cut the wire tag things off ur meter well yeah thats not good the supply authority wont be happy, i no its illegal and you dont touch them but dont really understand what uv done to behonest

holden boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s
argh they have a few diffrent ones in nz as long as its not the one that is on the cover of the terminals for the cable conections , as thats when they get really shitty as then u can unplug the neutral cable going to the meter and stop it :)

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i think i need to take a photo .. but basically there was no power at the water heater and the sparky told me to look in the 'fuse box' near the off peak meter. there was another small box with a little switch inside. this box had a clear cover on it held in place by 2 screws with security seals on em. i had to cut the seals, open it up and flick the switch. Is that making more sense ?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
you're talking about the off peak relay switch. We cut those seals all the time at work - but we're certified to put them back on.
Really what he should have told you to do, was ring up country energy (or whoever your electrical supplier is down there) and tell them that your hot water isn't working, and they send someone out to check it for free.
Is it working like normal again now, or constantly on?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I'd have thought he was directing you to a fuse or trip switch (whatever they call them now...)

I've never known anyone to cut these things and not go to jail.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
ok now you are making sense. I have not looked at it since this morning. I guess i'll let it do its thing overnight and check it again in the morning. It should have heated up and switched off by then yeah ?
So then i open up the seals and put some new fishing line on them ?