Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any entomologists here?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
found a creepy bug, dunno what it is.. never seen one before.. anyone able to shed some light on it for me?

creepybug1.jpg

creepybug.jpg

Sam

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
looks kinda like a smallish centipede to me.

CSIRO has it listed as a centipede of the scutigeromorpha order

yep
Scutigeromorpha - Wikispecies

all about em
Members of the Scutigeromorpha are characterised by a rounded head, 15 body segments which form a short, tapered, rounded body covered by eight large tergites (Lewis 1981: 31). Scutigerids are easily identified by their very long lateral antennae (antennae are frontal in other centipede orders) and 15 pairs of long legs which increase in length posteriorly. Scutigerids have large insect-like compound eyes as opposed to the simple ocelli of most other centipede species (Lewis 1981: 31; Hoffmann 1982: 681). A pair of Tömösváry organs (sensory organs) are located below the eyes on each side (Lewis 1981: 31).

Further differences between scutigeromorphs and the other orders include spiracles located on the tergites instead of on the pleurites, and neither the clypeus nor the head pleurites folded underneath (Lewis 1981: 31; Edgecombe 2001: 44). There is a sternite for each leg-bearing segment, but only seven tergites, due to the fusion of short tergites with the longer ones. The pleurites are weakly sclerotised (Lewis 1981: 35).

Other diagnostic features of the order are: The 1st maxillae similar to those of Lithobiomorpha. On the dorsal surface of the coxosternite are two distensible organs for cleaning of the legs and antennae. The 2nd maxillae have the coxosternite very narrow, and the telopodite consisting of four long slim segments, the first three of which have long spines; the last lacks a claw. The leg coxae are well developed and have a ventral spine, the trochanter is reduced. The tergite of the 1st male genital segment is membranous with a well-developed sternite. A pair of attenuate gonopods are attached to a trapezoidal structure. The 2nd genital segment also has similar processes on each side of a penis. The ventral part of the 1st genital segment is more strongly developed in the female than in the male. This part consists of a coxosternite with a central sternite and lateral coxites. Condyles present on the posterior border of each of the coxites join with the two-segmented gonopod. The second segment is not sclerotised (Lewis 1981: 36).

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
haven't seen one of those over this way. Looks a whole lot like a grasshopper's head and tail on the body of something else.... I'd certainly be interested to know what you find out.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
pow3rslave I'd say that's right on the money. Hobby of yours?
I thought centipede but the long legs and the 'very long lateral antennae' at the back confused me

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
nah not heaps, just remembered that pets thread with the gigantic ones. not sure if this one could take on a mouse though.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
where is it's head?