Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Any Guitar players out there? Tips/advice, easy songs to help out the beginners

totq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8, Raptor S/C
I would suggest you start off by developing finger strength first, especially the ring finger and little finger, referred to as 3rd and 4th finger respectively. If you've only just taken up guitar, don't be too keen about playing songs although it is helpful in keeping you interested. Try to put in some time EVERYDAY, just 30mins with various finger exercises like playing 4 frets with all four fingers all all 4 strings. As your fingers develop strength, they also gain more control. And learn them chords! It is the rhythym of chords that make the song.
At the beginning, just practice until the fingers are sore/tired, but after a couple of months try to discipline yourself to put in a solid hour everyday, if possible.
When practicing, learn and practice the things you can't do well yet, then play the things you can and enjoy towards the end of your practice session - this keeps it interesting. And if you are very keen, some paying lessons does help a lot.
Good luck, as i have heard often, when learning guitar, if you don't improve by 3-4 months it's usual to lose interest and give it up altogether.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
One of the easiest songs i learnt was green day (time of your life), then nirvana (come as you are), and of course deep purples (smoke on the water) once i got the basic chords down pat i moved on to other more chalenging things! I can now play all the begining lead to metalica nothing else maters (s&m version) and stairway to heaven, most of the eagles songs ect! Its actually good when ya can get the basics sorted as then when you learn to play stuff, you can muck around and modify it for fun:)

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Grave digging a bit here but I thought it woudl be better than starting a new topic. We bought my 9 year old daughter a guitar for xmas, funky girly looking black and pink with sparkles thing. Anyway just wondering if anyone could recommend something easy for her to learn to play that she may know, something that only made in the last 5 years or so.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
what music genre does she listen to? teach her power chords and shell be able to play pretty much any rock song by bands like green day

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
haha shes a 9yr old girl so she listens to crappy music- hannah montana (we need a spew emoticon), the veronicas, pink though he would probably know if little bit of green day stuff.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
veronicas and pink would probably be the same power chord crap so easy to learn. may have mentioned it ealier, but get a program like guitar pro, where you can play along with the song

bread

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
can't stop - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
try those, none of these require any pedals or drop d tuning.

pjwooly

motorcityband.com.au
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS brute
yeah dude its cool,i play in a covers band called MOTORCITY on the gold coast.Ive bin playing on and off for years but honestly know "Jack" about reading music.I would sugest going onto "you tube".just type in the song you wanna learn and search til you find someone teaching it....its that easy!!!

rock on!!