Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

VPWAGZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp vactioner wagon
hello

firstly i respect what u guys do, as it must be a hard job!

got a couple of questions for you sir,

when i got defected which was for lowered rear spings only (1 defect) coppa said i just need to get it fix cuz its a minor, well i later on found out he ticked rwc, which meant i had to get a rwc and take the car to vicroads for 1 defect only, inst it meant to be 3 or more? i also had 30 days to clear it??

also i know u dont run the fix speed cameras, but i got flashed at a intersection and its been about 5-6 months and still nothing is there a law on how long its allowed to take??

thanks for your thoughts Jas

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
also i know u dont run the fix speed cameras, but i got flashed at a intersection and its been about 5-6 months and still nothing is there a law on how long its allowed to take??

Well i am certain you wont receive it, if there was another car in the picture they cannot fine you, also, if it were for speeding you may of been over just enough that it dropped you below the limit.

i wouldnt stress too much :)

the rwc i cant say anything on, but from what i understand if you are given either a minor or major you need a full rwc again.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Help Us Help You

Guys & Ladies...

Just another quick reminder. You need to state where you are from ie what state your question relates to, so we know whether or not our advice is gunna be relevant. What's legal/illegal in one state doesn't always reflect the same in other states/territories...

Just put your state in your profile or in the question...

Cheers :thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It's automatic 1 month suspension for anyone 25 or more over.

When I get one with the laser that is 27 km/h or more (remember 2km/h is automatically deducted) it comes down to attitude test. If they're genuine and cop it sweet I'll put the detected speed down a little so that when the 2ks is deducted they'll be under the 25 over so they don't get the suspension.

If the speed is way too excessive or they want to try and argue with me and be annoying they get what ever speed I got them at and maybe a roadworthy inspection while we're at it.

Isn't it 3 km/h an hour deduction?

johnnyk said:
Oh.. and minux....what can I say mate, everyone's entitled to their opinions. Hope your not breaking the law in your V8 SS and XR8 ;)
Why would i break the law? I value my licence, i value my vehicles. There is no need to be going 40+ km/h over the speed limit. That is just pathetic, to even try and justify it is to be an idiot.

helly said:
Oh and I'm sure MINUX isn't cracking through intersections at 42 kph over the speed limit!

Damn straight, luckily for me, i'd prefer to be able to stop when that 4 year old kid runs out in front of me, not want to hit the child at 100 km/h in a 60 zone.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
hello

firstly i respect what u guys do, as it must be a hard job!

got a couple of questions for you sir,

when i got defected which was for lowered rear spings only (1 defect) coppa said i just need to get it fix cuz its a minor, well i later on found out he ticked rwc, which meant i had to get a rwc and take the car to vicroads for 1 defect only, inst it meant to be 3 or more? i also had 30 days to clear it??

thanks for your thoughts Jas

You should make enquiries with the police member who gave you the notice. After that 30 day expiry your rego will be suspended if it's not cleared. I'm assuming you're from Vic.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
As for your camera the statute of limitations on traffic matters is 12 months so technically it hasn't expired yet. The Traffic Camera Office doesn't take anywhere near that long so it's quite possible it wasn't you who set it off or there was a problem with the photo.

I once set off a red light camera going through a red arrow to turn left. I went through and the flash went off. Red light cameras take two or more pics: one to show you at the intersection and others to show you actually proceeded through against the red light. Because I'd already turned when the second photo was taken the camera either couldn't see the number plate or couldn't see me at all therefore no notice was ever issued.

whizzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
I drive trucks interstate for living and got fined last week and was wondering if i could get officers opinion here

As you know trucks are limited to 100 km/h and i was merrily going along at this rate around Rainbow Flats near Nabiac in NSW when i got pinned for an under 15 km/h over offence

What happened is i came over a crest of a small hill and felt the truck start to run off by itself on downhill section so i immediately applied jacob and conventional brakes to slow it down back to the limit

100 metres down road i see flashing lights behind me, i look down at speedo and was doing under 100 k's so thought i was getting pulled over for log book check or something similar but no they decided i was speeding and issued ticket for offence

What i want to know is do i have leg to stand on if i take this to court?
Various people have told me they can't book you coming down a hill whatever size - Is this true?

What pisses me is i wasn't actually speeding but slowing the truck down where i felt it was starting to run off

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What engine you running? Take it in and have the data downloaded, it is usually calibrated to report speeds over the set km/h. So if it is set to 101(which is illegal)if you were doing 104 it will highlight as an exception and show int he report.

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
I drive trucks interstate for living and got fined last week and was wondering if i could get officers opinion here

As you know trucks are limited to 100 km/h and i was merrily going along at this rate around Rainbow Flats near Nabiac in NSW when i got pinned for an under 15 km/h over offence

What happened is i came over a crest of a small hill and felt the truck start to run off by itself on downhill section so i immediately applied jacob and conventional brakes to slow it down back to the limit

100 metres down road i see flashing lights behind me, i look down at speedo and was doing under 100 k's so thought i was getting pulled over for log book check or something similar but no they decided i was speeding and issued ticket for offence

What i want to know is do i have leg to stand on if i take this to court?
Various people have told me they can't book you coming down a hill whatever size - Is this true?

What pisses me is i wasn't actually speeding but slowing the truck down where i felt it was starting to run off

Only in NSW - it seems they're a pretty 'ethical' bunch and don't use discretion very much - explains why they book each other. Someone once told me that in NSW they don't let police recruits anywhere near the academy until they swear that they would 'do in' another copper if they were given the chance. But back to the issue:

What device were they using? Did they offer to show you the reading? What speed are they alleging? Most importantly: What questions did they ask and what was your response?

Any admissions you made at the time become cruicial in court later on. I once booked someone for flying along at over 100 in a 50 zone which is an automatic 12 months suspension in Victoria. When confronted with the allegation he immediately said, "I was doing about 90". Just by saying that he's done himself in. It wasn't with a laser either, purely by estimate. We were travelling along behind him at 100 and still weren't catching up with him.

If they had you on laser it's most likely that they zapped a reading off you when your speed peaked before you began to slow down.

Perhaps try writing to the one who gave you the ticket or to wherever you send the ticket to for payment. Just do up a letter including the details of the ticket like time and place issued and who issued it and notice number etc. Try pleading your case that way. If it was here in Victoria they process would be (if you were successful) would be that the ticket could be withdrawn. However in NSW I think that such a request would probably have to go to the Chief Commissioner :rolleyes:

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Isn't it 3 km/h an hour deduction? .

It is a 2 km/h deduction for laser detected speeds. This is because the laser will get a reading within 2 km/h either way. It might be different for the cameras, I don't know. The only time I see a camera fine is when the vehicle owner comes to the station to have the stat dec witnessed because they're nominating another driver.