Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina
ahhhhh bean counters and jobs that are well protected.

=

The opposite of democracy.

Um dictatorships from one voice one dream one ideal, - to billions :D

bronxsystem

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2008
just saw this thread

i just finished CSU bridging course and got accepted into the ADPP course in Goulburn i just wanted to get idea how much essay work do we do in the academy?
i did not finish HSC and have been out of school for 10 years so i am bit worried about the uni work.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Something I've always wanted to know...
Now, let me start by saying I've ridden Harleys, I like Harleys, but would never actually own one myself...way too expensive and overpriced, even second hand...but it's got two wheels and a motor, so it must be interesting... :w00t: :D

Here goes: Why is it illegal for cars, trucks, buses, forklifts, tractors, or just about anything else, to exceed decibel limits and modify exhaust systems to allow excess noise...it is even worse to remove completely an exhaust system.
However, why can almost eveyr Harley around ride around with impunity with absolutley NO exhaust system, simply straight pipes with no mufflers at all?
If I did that with my VS Berlina, my Rodeo ute, my BMW motorbike, I wouldn't get twenty meters, but if it was a Harley? Hey, go for it. Why why why? A hundred thousand guys riding other makes of bike than Harley Davidsons want to know!!!

But please answer about the Harley pipes....the noise laws are pretty much the same everywhere, as are the Australian Design Rules regarding noise levels...

Though why you'd want to make a perfectly good bike sound like a fifty year old Massey Fergusen with a rusted out exhaust is beyond me.... :thumbsup: :D

Hey wombat, are you for real about your Harley comments?
Mate I have ridden bikes all my life, and have owned a Harley amongst others. Even with the pipes changed out, still so many dumbarse mofo car drivers on the roads do not bother checking for bikes, the louder the better for bikes I say. I think that bikes should also come equipped with a 50 CAL.

Wake up mate, a Harley has a sweet sound, sure some bikers go a bit overboard and make them sound ****, but thats their prob.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Questions Regarding road works and speed limits:
There is currently a bit of road resurfacing (thats what they are calling leaving rocks on the road) going on around canberra.

1. There is 1 section (approx 50mtrs) where it is sign posted for road works and 60kph. There is no end of works signage (well for the 2+km that i travel). Is it ok to return 80kph at the end of the section that has been replaced ?

2. Another section has road works and 60kph signage then 5m after it has the normal 80kph sign 'not' covered. Which sign should I be adhereing to ? The road works do continue for about 1km past the signs.

Mitch-

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega
A couple of questions re learners.

We all know that someone on their L's must have a fully licenced driver in the passenger seat, but what's the deal if they're driving a car with 3 seat belted bench seats in the front? Must the leaner sit directly next to the supervisor, or can someone else such as a younger child sit between them?

Also in NSW at least as far as I know, someone who did their P's test in an auto can't drive a manual unless there's also a fully licenced driver with them. If they're driving in such a situation, effectively reduced to having a supervising driver with them like when they were on their L's, can they drive a V8/Turbo/Supercharged as per when they were on their L's or is it still verboten?

Hello there,

For your first question, the Supervisor driver has to be seated next to the L plater. Main reason being, if, for any reason, the handbreak needed to be applied to avoid the crash, or a hazard (wouldn't recommend this at speed..) or if the supervisor needed to make adjustments to the steering in emergency situations, they are able to, and it should be in an arm reach from them. With a 3seater- front seat, they are unable to if somebody is seated in the middle seat.

For the P plater question, it's a no. They aren't able to drive a v8, or turbo charged (unless turbo diesel) car, even if there is a supervisor driver next to them. One of the conditions of the licence would be not to be incontrol of a high powered vehicle, while I do understand the licence condition for auto red p-platers is, they aren't able to drive cars with Synchromesh gearboxes (manual- or clutch manual), they are able to learn- with a fully licensed supervisor driver. They wouldn't be able to learn how to drive a high powered vehicle, it would be way to dangerous for an inexperienced driver to drive. (L platers are different, it's not like they would hit high speeds while being supervised. well, I have never seen it). But, if red P platers want to drive a manual (with an auto licence- without being supervised) they would have to retake the test.

Mitch-

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega
Questions Regarding road works and speed limits:
There is currently a bit of road resurfacing (thats what they are calling leaving rocks on the road) going on around canberra.

1. There is 1 section (approx 50mtrs) where it is sign posted for road works and 60kph. There is no end of works signage (well for the 2+km that i travel). Is it ok to return 80kph at the end of the section that has been replaced ?

2. Another section has road works and 60kph signage then 5m after it has the normal 80kph sign 'not' covered. Which sign should I be adhereing to ? The road works do continue for about 1km past the signs.

Hey there,

I'm not 100% familiar with ACT/AFP laws, but as for NSW.. For 1. I would say keep up with traffic, there should always be a end of roadworks sign, there could be a few reasons why there isn't- vandalised and removed, or it could even be hidden. If there is a problem, I would speak to your local council about it, and they should replace it/add it. And as for the 2nd, Is there a "end" roadworks sign? if there is, you should be adhereing to the first sign. But, if you were to do 80Km/h and were pulled over and fined.. You could take it to court, and take a photo (making sure both signs are visible)- I'm sure the courts will drop the case if you were to say you were confused and were unsure on which sign to follow.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Hey there,

I'm not 100% familiar with ACT/AFP laws, but as for NSW.. For 1. I would say keep up with traffic, there should always be a end of roadworks sign, there could be a few reasons why there isn't- vandalised and removed, or it could even be hidden. If there is a problem, I would speak to your local council about it, and they should replace it/add it. And as for the 2nd, Is there a "end" roadworks sign? if there is, you should be adhereing to the first sign. But, if you were to do 80Km/h and were pulled over and fined.. You could take it to court, and take a photo (making sure both signs are visible)- I'm sure the courts will drop the case if you were to say you were confused and were unsure on which sign to follow.

Erm, you always follow the last sign you come across. Its never the other way around. If there is a 60 sign followed by an uncovered 80 sign, you do 80 (assuming its obvious that there isn't meant to be a cover there)

Your post is completely backwards, if there was a 60 sign, and an end road works sign, then you'd be safe to do the next signs 80k's. You wouldn't revert back to the 60 sign that preceeded it....... No wonder so many people want to smash into me these days...

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Erm, you always follow the last sign you come across. Its never the other way around. If there is a 60 sign followed by an uncovered 80 sign, you do 80 (assuming its obvious that there isn't meant to be a cover there)

Your post is completely backwards, if there was a 60 sign, and an end road works sign, then you'd be safe to do the next signs 80k's. You wouldn't revert back to the 60 sign that preceeded it....... No wonder so many people want to smash into me these days...

Correct! Even if there is a 60KPH sign followed by a 80KPH sign 1meter away you would do 80KPH. The reason you would find a road work speed sign so close to a council speed sign is because traffic controllers need to follow a rule which states that speed signs need to be placed a consecutive distance apart from each other for the full length of the work site.

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
Just a quick observation.......I was travelling towards pakenham on the monash freeway today (aprox 11am) and between wellington Road and Eastlink there was roadworks being performed with lots of relevant signage and a reduced speed limit of 60km/h. Now I dont have any issues per se with roadworks and reduced speed limits however I do take exception to the fact that whilst in the third lane from the left (there is 4 for those that dont live in vic) at between 60 and 65km\h I was overtaken by two trucks a car and then a silver unmarked police car (ve wagon). When I say overtaken I can only guesstimate their speeds but definately above 80km/h. Neither the trucks or the car were pulled over, they just moved to the left and the unmarked car drove past them without accelerating or changing lanes (ie he didnt look to be in a hurry to get anywhere.

Most interesting..........thoughts, comments?