Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the EX-Holden Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi Dr. Bob,

Im trying to put some cash away to come and see you to get my chip upgraded..
no worries, when youre ready

I have had my dash cluster out and there is a switch on the back of it saying 60 or 80 litre tank, now the most i have ever put in my tank was 72litres. and thats when readout on the cluster had just clicked over to 0kms left on the tank. i normally struggle to put in 70litres, like i have to stand there for 2 or 3 minutes to try and get those last extra 2 litres in the tank, and i know i have used 70 litres cos i have checked it with the computer on the cluster.

Is it possible to put in 80 litres into this tank, or would you recommend just driving it till it stops and see just incase the cluster is reading incorrectly. WOuld the fuel pump have anything to do with this as sometime it sounds like there are bubbles or something noisey in the fuel pump / tank area?

i dont think you would ever get 80 litres in the tank, this is a nominal figure given by holden & is only the theoretical capacity, there should always be some in reserve.
running it to empty & calibrating the cluster will make it more accurate
sometimes the swirlpot makes gurgling noises, unless theres issues with driveability it shouldnt be a problem

I had a camber kit installed on the rear end of my VS Calais as my passenger side rear wheel was well and truely out, i had 15" stock alloys on when i got this done and have since put on 18" VY SS wheels and the camber was out again, i took it back and the guys at TTF realligned it for me but said the best they can get it was 2.2 for passenger side and 1.1 for drivers side. with the camber kit it should be all fixed up shouldn't it?

it should adjust up ok with the camber kit yes

thats just 2 of my many questions, i will draw them out over a while so i dont piss you of too much with my silly questions :p

CHeers

Trav...

lol not pissed off yet.

Rob

ICUBYE

Do I Smell Burnin Rubber?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0Litre '96 Series 1
How do i recalibrate the cluster? by just running it down to nothing so the car stops? or do i need to do something else?

The fuel pump constantly makes a buzzing noise, my friends that drive commodore's also get this noise but only till the car has started then it stops, while mine continues to make the noise. My oldman said the bubbling sound that i was hearing sounds like vapour lock, as a few times when this has happened my car has been very shakey and has stalled, have to keep my foot on the accelerator to get the car going but its shaking and jumping all over the place. this onlt happens when i start the car, mainly in the sun of a warm to hot day.

Since i have had a camber kit installed and its still not 100% does this sound like my rear end is screwed or that the camber kit is crap?

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Hi doc bob,i asked you about my eng light not comming on to check codes about a week or so ago.you had asked me to check a certain fuse and i did and it was fine.Everthing else works fine in the car except this damn light.Should i try another cluster or something else?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
How do i recalibrate the cluster? by just running it down to nothing so the car stops? or do i need to do something else?/QUOTE]
theres instructions for calibrating it in the owners manual, they are posted on here somewhere i think

The fuel pump constantly makes a buzzing noise, my friends that drive commodore's also get this noise but only till the car has started then it stops, while mine continues to make the noise. My oldman said the bubbling sound that i was hearing sounds like vapour lock, as a few times when this has happened my car has been very shakey and has stalled, have to keep my foot on the accelerator to get the car going but its shaking and jumping all over the place. this onlt happens when i start the car, mainly in the sun of a warm to hot day.
a noisy fuel pump can be a sign its on the way out.
the hard starting may be leaky injectors, next time it does it see if it puffs some black smoke

Since i have had a camber kit installed and its still not 100% does this sound like my rear end is screwed or that the camber kit is crap?
what is the problem with the rear end?

Cheers Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Hi doc bob,i asked you about my eng light not comming on to check codes about a week or so ago.you had asked me to check a certain fuse and i did and it was fine.Everthing else works fine in the car except this damn light.Should i try another cluster or something else?

check the globe in that spot it may be blown

Rob

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
doctor bob can you dfind a holden part number for a speedo sender in a 4L60 with 3.45 diff gear ratio??? if there is one that is... any help would be appreciated:thumbsup:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
doctor bob can you dfind a holden part number for a speedo sender in a 4L60 with 3.45 diff gear ratio??? if there is one that is... any help would be appreciated:thumbsup:

not sure if there is one, to correct the speedo you will have to put a corrector box in from jaycar or similar
i will have a look though
Rob

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
cheers, about how much are they from jaycar??? can they be bought anywhere else do you know cos im going to adelaide next weekend so im hoping to find one there

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
Dr. Bob, My VX is on gas, but it's an aftermarket conversion.. It still has a Holden LPG compliance plate but the conversion was done by Progas in Huntingdale..

When I'm on Gas, the LPG light (next to the Full reading on the speedo) should light up. It doesn't.. The Holden guy said the only way to get it to light up when I'm on gas is to buy a whole new dash..

If I buy a new dash face, like the picture below.. Can I get the LPG light to light up when I'm on gas?

Cheers

14_12_sb.JPG

##################################################

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.