Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ATF fluid change

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Doesn't really fit anywhere else.

My old man wants me to change the fluid on his falcon. Now it doesn't have a dipstick.

Do I just put in the quantity his manual says and be done with it? Fill it like a manual til it comes back out the filler hole or is there some other way?

Cheers for the help

mickey1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Falcon Futura & a VR flog bomb
Yep that's how it's done, fill it on level ground until it starts coming back out the filler hole, the 4 speed BTR in Falcons takes a touch over 4 litres. There's no point in doing it unless you change the filter and sump gasket though.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cheers mate.

Will defiantly do the filter. 30 bucks for a genuine one from ford, better check that comes with a sump gasket though.

mickey1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also thought I would mention when you take the filter out, there is a little plastic o-ring that likes to get wedged in the pick-up hole where the filter goes and the new filter won't seat properly unless it's removed and replaced, they normally give you a new one with the service kit along with the gasket. It's not that hard to get out, if you have to take to it with a screwdriver be mindful not to gauge the soft alloy, push the o-ring inwards so it buckles and pops out.

I have done this a fair few times on Falcons I have owned so if you have any queries or problems feel free to ask.

Oh and while I'm at it, make sure you can get the filler plug off first before you try anything! They can be a real pain to unscrew after not being touched since the factory fill.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Mint thanks dude. Should be good.

Cheers for the hint on the filler plug. It's done 105k. Hoping it's been done before but service manual doesn't say

Will prob do it next weekend.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
good to have a hand operated pump or grease gun type thing to help refill it theyre a pain to change.
Ford said "we dont need a dipstick because they''ll never leak" yeah right ford.
Interesting to note that some models did have a dipstick

mickey1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
I normally just run a bit of clear plastic hose and a funnel down the drivers side of the car and into the filler hole and tie the funnel to the mirror if a hand pump isn't available.

The mk1 EF was the last model to have a dipstick, they were deleted because muppets kept putting the old dextron gloop into the transmission instead of the required oil and wrecking their transmissions. They still had the little fitting on the transmission for a dipstick right up until the 4 speed was discontinued, a lot of taxi operators retrofit them.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Once the oil is in and you put the filler plug back in, you will have to start it up, go through the gears, turn it off, then re-check the oil.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
good to have a hand operated pump or grease gun type thing to help refill it theyre a pain to change.

I was in a pit with a mate after we had replaced his auto in his falcon and he was holding the nozzle end and i was pumping in the trans fluid, the stupid p***k shat his pants when it started to overfill and while i was pumping ( i wasnt looking) he pointed the nozzle at me so i then sprayed myself with oil, he started pissing himself and the turned around to get something and walked straight into the oil drain train that runs along the top of the pit, smacked his head and then fell into all the oil and crud in the bottom of the pit, ahhh nothing like a bit of karma.

pointless post :)

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
funny as mate. i was once filling a trans after a full rebuild, old man up in the car while its on the hoist. phone rings so i stop filling but leave the hose in the trans he hears me talking so thinks i said start it and i wasnt there hose came out of trans started pissing oil over floor. prick of a job to clean up.