Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Belt coming off and snapping tensioner

Justin.P22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Hi everyone I’m having a major issue with my 2007 ve ss . It has a L98 stock engine and I’ve been having a major issue with the main belt coming off and the tensioner snapping

I’ve owned the car for 3 years and it had a wobbly balancer and 2 years of driving around the belt snapped from wear and tare and when it snapped the radiator blew up and after it happen I thought I’d replace the balancer why doing the belt and radiator. Ever since then my belt won’t last a day or a turn key and stay on or when it hold it snaps the tensioner In half after a few days I’ve replaced the balancer 3 times the tensioner 6 times from snapping and changing the belt 4 times and it still keep throwing the belt off. What can I do to solve this issue I’m aiming to change the power steering but i don’t wanna put another dollar to it if it gonna happen again. When I talk to a lot of people about it they can’t give me an answer or ever heard of this happening or I’m told its maybe internal but there’s no noises or knocks. I’ve read a lot about L98 having this sorts issue but never a tensioner snapping specifically 6 times plus the original one. Hope someone can help

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you checked the belt alignment? What balancer did you replace it with?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Did you tighten up the balancer bolt correctly? If it definately torqued up and pulled all the way back into place? I've seen a balancer that wasn't tightened enough and the belt wasn't running straight so it was throwing belts and wobbling like a drunk...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you tighten up the balancer bolt correctly? If it definately torqued up and pulled all the way back into place? I've seen a balancer that wasn't tightened enough and the belt wasn't running straight so it was throwing belts and wobbling like a drunk...
This was my thought. Those balancers pull in a good 10mm after they start to bite on the snout.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the tensioner is snapping then it sounds like the bearing is ceasing and the the belt just grips it and snaps it (not sure how lase that could happen) i have snapped a gates stronger racing belt before and it wasnt enough to damage my tensioner so something is going on in yours, feel how they all spin without the belt as some bearings may be bad, also with belt off get a straight edge and check all the alignment with the balancer to all other pulleys see if they line up

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Where have you been buying these snapping tensioners? Hopefully not all from the same eBay foundry.

Justin.P22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Have you checked the belt alignment? What balancer did you replace it with?
It’s been checked 20 times and 4 shops And nah I brought the part from peps 2 times and one from black town auto shop but not sure that brand it was now

Justin.P22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Yeah I believe so like I didn’t do it got a couple shops I deal with and they did it even had the balancer taken off just to make sure and it’s been replaced 3 times in a month