Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Belt coming off and snapping tensioner

Justin.P22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
if the tensioner is snapping then it sounds like the bearing is ceasing and the the belt just grips it and snaps it (not sure how lase that could happen) i have snapped a gates stronger racing belt before and it wasnt enough to damage my tensioner so something is going on in yours, feel how they all spin without the belt as some bearings may be bad, also with belt off get a straight edge and check all the alignment with the balancer to all other pulleys see if they line up
What bearing could be seized? I was told powr steering ? And yep got a straight edge and lined it up and it’s all good and one the performance shops I go to even put this laser reading on it and came up all straight

Yes something is going on badly. All coz I put a new belt and radiator and took the old wobbly balancer off and it’s costing me so far over 1800 to play with belts and tensioners and pulleys feel like I should of let the wobbly balancer on and would of been fine

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
tensioner pulley is only the real one that could cause it to add load to the tensioner itself, any pulley before the tensioner will only add load to before it not after it, all the tensioner should do is take up the slack when the belt stretches under load, power steering dosnt have a bearing it has a bush within the pump but u should feel if that is bad or not, maby alternator spinning good too ? water pump ok ? the pulley before the alternator ? strange as tensioner should see load it only takes up the slack being at the back of the balancer last on the drive side