Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bent simmons rim, easily fixable?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
call Tempe Tyres: (02) 8577 8577

send your wheel up, they will unbolt, fit new barrel, seal and re-bolt to your factory simmons wheel specs.

and i know they will replace a single barrel as my mate had his 20x11.5 barrel replaced 3-4 months ago.

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Series II VS Berlina

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Did I measure them incorrectly? How do you measure them?

yes. diameter is tyre bead edge to tyre bead edge diameter, usually ~1" smaller than overall diameter.

width is bead edge to bead edge, same deal, 1-1.5" narrower than overall width.

so theyre really 16x8-8.5"

call Tempe Tyres: (02) 8577 8577

send your wheel up, they will unbolt, fit new barrel, seal and re-bolt to your factory simmons wheel specs.

and i know they will replace a single barrel as my mate had his 20x11.5 barrel replaced 3-4 months ago.

being 16s, tempe wont want to deal with them. they only do 17" and up.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute

Just measured my simmons and they are 17 x 9.5's

ye i read this and automatically thought Tempe

Funny thing is on the tyre wall it says this tyre should only be put on 16 inch rim and not a 16.5. Does this mean beurepairs fitted the incorrect tyres?

haha similar thing happen to me, K-mart tyres but 15" tyres on my 20's

they used a stanley knife and cut the wall to fit

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes. diameter is tyre bead edge to tyre bead edge diameter, usually ~1" smaller than overall diameter.

width is bead edge to bead edge, same deal, 1-1.5" narrower than overall width.

so theyre really 16x8-8.5"

Ahah, I will re measure tomo thanks for your info

If being 16's I'll try my luck with retro when they are back at work, regardless they will have similiar prices to to that mob in lilydale plus what 50 - 100 to get wheel freighted from melb to syd taking the cost up to 400. I just wonder if another wheel repairer might be able to fix it even though advanced alloy declined.

My other option is that there is a couple sets (16x8''s) floating around on auction sites from 900 - 1100, which are in exceptional condition compared to mine. If I get them for 900 and keep one of my simmons for a 5th spare then I could possibly sell my 2 remaining good simmons with tyres and third damaged one for at least 300 I would assume. So 600 for fixing my damaged one and have 4 better looking polished rims and spare vs 3 dirty rims and one new looking repaired rim for 400. 200 more for the better option.

But that in turn leads me to wonder what other better looking 17/18 inch rims with tyres I could buy for up to 8 - 900 especially as in all honesty the inset 16x8/8.5 rims on a VS doesnt compliment the car like a normalset 17inch set would.

decisons decisons :unsure:

Last edited:

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
PLUS

over 100 bucks for a tyre to be fitted taking the cost to over 500 dollars and I'll have a brand new looking rim which will look funny with the other 3. Online I can get a set of 4 near new looking and polished rims the same with 4 near new tyres for 900 maybe less. I just see no logic in repairing this rim. If I get identical ones I can sell the ones I have or keep 2 for my trailer OR I can just get a cheap set of 17's with tyres for like 500 sell the 3 an 1 damaged for around that. Ill keep you posted.

msiys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got a place in richmond that'll do it for 95. 12 month warranty. +100 for a tyre and 40 for a polish. Good times.
Will get em to just do the rim rash an bend and will get all 4 polished when I get my next set of tyres.

Anyone know a good place in melb to get secondhand tyres/fitted?