Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best BFYB Commodore

BFYB Commodore

• VB

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • VC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VH

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • VK

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • VL

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • VN

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • VP

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • VR

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • VS

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • VT

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • VX

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • VY

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • VZ

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • VE

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Yeh, NA VL with money spent on it. How much? :whistling
Remember BFYB is looking at best performance for the lowest price. I voted on the poll as BFYB with no set amount just best performance for your dollar.
If you budgeted say $10000 max you could buy a V8 in any model from VN on and the cheaper you buy it for the more you have to spend on some go gear.

Ultimately the NA VL would have a greater gain with the same money spent on it as a 3.8litre but still has to make up the deficit first to match a VN.

Stock VLTs couldn't break 15 seconds for the 400m and were certainly nowhere near 13 seconds. With a a few well chosen mods 13s were very possible. 13 seconds slow? 13.00s equates to 0-100 times between 4.5 - 5.00 seconds which 99% of road cars could not match. Slow for a drag car, quick for a road car.

VL Man Stock 0 - 100 = 9.2 - 9.6, 0 - 400m = 16.6 -16.85
VL Auto Stock 0 - 100 = 11.02 - 11.22, 0 - 400m = 17.03 - 17.22
VLT Man Stock 0 - 100 = 7.55 - 7.71, 0 - 400m = 15.57 - 15.64
VLT Auto Stock 0 - 100 = 8.22 - 8.35, 0 - 400m = 15.95 - 16.1

VN V6 SI Man Stock 0 - 100 = 7.54 - 7.63, 0 - 400m = 15.55 - 15.83
VN V6 SI Auto stock 0 - 100 = 7.89 - 8.19, 0 - 400m = 15.62 - 15.73

VN V8 Man Stock 0 - 100 = 7.30 - 7.5, 0 - 400 m = 15.24 - 15.35
VN V8 Auto Stock 0 - 100 = 7.50 - 7.93, 0 - 400m = 15.48 - 15.76

Did you get that from wikipedia LOL! No the vl what was running low 15's was a N/A with extractors's and an exhaust. 13+ second's is slow for a street car. There is 8's 9's 10's VLT street car's. If i could find the topic i would post it but i can't. It's somewhere in the N/A section of www.calaisturbo.com.au And still i dont know what the hype is about VN v6's. They are slow and drive like ass. My mate's VN has around 150000 original K's, one owner since new. It handle's crap, it drives like crap and the motor is rough as gut's. He say's that his parent's VY smoke's on his VN. The only thing the VN has on the VY is wheel spoin. I was telling him that a bunch of people on this site think that their VN's are the fastest 6 cylinder commodore. He just laughed.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Did you get that from wikipedia LOL! No the vl what was running low 15's was a N/A with extractors's and an exhaust. 13+ second's is slow for a street car. There is 8's 9's 10's VLT street car's. If i could find the topic i would post it but i can't. It's somewhere in the N/A section of www.calaisturbo.com.au And still i dont know what the hype is about VN v6's. They are slow and drive like ass. My mate's VN has around 150000 original K's, one owner since new. It handle's crap, it drives like crap and the motor is rough as gut's. He say's that his parent's VY smoke's on his VN. The only thing the VN has on the VY is wheel spoin. I was telling him that a bunch of people on this site think that their VN's are the fastest 6 cylinder commodore. He just laughed.

Oh dear.
Yes VNs are as rough as guts and don't handle as well as they could in stock form. What hype are you referring to? This thread is about BFYB.

Wikepedia? If you believe a stock VLT is a 13 second car or a N/A VL with just extractors and exhaust runs low 15s you must be the one using Wikipedia or just lapping up tall stories from that other forum. There is a lot of info out ther regarding performance of stock Commodores, try looking it up to satisfy yourself.
With money spent yes those times are possible but you are referring to stock times and this is "bang for your buck" not bang for lots of bucks.
A stock VN (with a good motor) would easily beat a stock VY auto or manual.

If I state my car does 11 seconds stock here on the forum does that make it true because it is on a forum? I do not think so.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
wouldnt it be great if we could get a 0k brand new car of each model and run them down the 1/4. theres not much point comparing a 17yr old car to a 6mth old car or anywhere in between really.

vl boys love their vls, vn boys love their vns, its never gonna end.

theyre ALL commodores, who cares whos is faster

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina

Mate, underneath and suspension wise the VL and VN are almost identical, apart from the ****house VL diff.

So if a VN handles like ****, so does a VL.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
wouldnt it be great if we could get a 0k brand new car of each model and run them down the 1/4. theres not much point comparing a 17yr old car to a 6mth old car or anywhere in between really.

vl boys love their vls, vn boys love their vns, its never gonna end.

theyre ALL commodores, who cares whos is faster

But everyone who has driven N/A VL's know they are a damn slow commodore. I had one, I realised it as soon as I jumped into my VN. My best mate had one, he realises it.

If you think a VL 6 N/A is as quick as other commodores, then you havent driven newer commodores.

Comparing a VN to a VS speed wise who cares because they are similar and an argument is understandable because it can depend on auto or manual, the driver, the individual car. With a VL, its a different story because they are simply no match especially in Auto form which is 2 seconds slower than the manual counterpart.

I have alot of respect for VL's and they are a great looking car. They look good and are a cult car, but the pace of the N/A 6 is their downfall and definitely their worst attribute.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
i havent driven anything pre vn, coz i never had to and im not going out of my way to drive one. why bother? my vn/vp's are fine

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Ahhhhhhh i never said VL's where fast they are slow. VN's are slow so is just about any other stock 6 commodore. Hmmm so when your going around a bend at 90kmph and it feel's like the ass of the vn is going to go out sideway's it's normal? My vl doesnt do that? And no im not comparing VL's to VN's. They are BOTH SLOW!!!!!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
IMO, BFYB is what ever you are comfortable spending. If you want to buy a VN and spend $2000 on it you would have a respectable Commodore. Although they are a bit uncomfortable for me. I prefer VS, the ecotec is a good solid engine even if it isn't as versatile as the Buick. It's comfortable, handles well (mine is IRS) and fits everything in it that I need. If you wanted to spend a bit more $10k then an LS1 would be the way to go. Everyone will have a different opinion, it all comes down to how much YOU are willing to spend and what outcome you are aiming for. Everyone here has the quickest, cheapest Commodore, just ask them.

GLD-086

Reaction score
N/A VLs slow? Yep. (Atleast we actually can admit our cars aren't fast)

I don't really care though.

My car gets passed by just about eveything on the highway, but it doesn't worry me the slightest bit. :thumbsup:

Meh VN V6s. People can have their *fast* VN V6s. I personally wouldn't touch one with a 50 foot pole, even if they ran a 12 second 1/4 mile from factory. (Only VNs I like are HSVs)

Yes I've never driven one, but I frankly don't want to.

Last edited: