Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best Cam Brand

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Comp cams best for ls motors, you'll find lots of companies resell these under ther own brand.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
VCM might be the most popular, but in terms of build quality they are down the bottom.

For an LS I prefer Crow or Texas Speed, a good range of performance grinds that focus on getting the most out of your engine, not just making it sound tough at the lights. Some of the GM Motorsport offerings are good for relatively stock cars too (standard converters etc).

I find with VCM 90% of people choose cams through them solely on "how lumpy it is" compared to actually picking a good cam for the application. All the kids just go and buy the most "hectic" VCM grinds for maximum car meet respect.
Respect or laughter? ;) :) :cool:

Harissz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SSZ 5.7
VCM might be the most popular, but in terms of build quality they are down the bottom.

For an LS I prefer Crow or Texas Speed, a good range of performance grinds that focus on getting the most out of your engine, not just making it sound tough at the lights. Some of the GM Motorsport offerings are good for relatively stock cars too (standard converters etc).

I find with VCM 90% of people choose cams through them solely on "how lumpy it is" compared to actually picking a good cam for the application. All the kids just go and buy the most "hectic" VCM grinds for maximum car meet respect.
You’re right Most people tend to put in the biggest cam which doesn’t mean

thats true you’re right about people just getting the biggest cam it ruins the car IMO a nice mild cam over a crazy one but of course as you said it should suit what your goal is - daily, weekender, wild etc

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ur first thought should be what rpm do u want to shift it at, LS will do 6-6500rpm all day but once u want to go above that u have to start to look into upgrades, so keeping it max 6500 u can eliminate alot of LS cams that just put the power up over there, a nice cam with the max torque thru the range that peaks in hp at the rpm u want to shift at would work best, then the fun starts trying to find a good LS cam that isnt jut slapped in there for a rough idle and 7500 rpm limit

Harissz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SSZ 5.7
ur first thought should be what rpm do u want to shift it at, LS will do 6-6500rpm all day but once u want to go above that u have to start to look into upgrades, so keeping it max 6500 u can eliminate alot of LS cams that just put the power up over there, a nice cam with the max torque thru the range that peaks in hp at the rpm u want to shift at would work best, then the fun starts trying to find a good LS cam that isnt jut slapped in there for a rough idle and 7500 rpm limit
Cheers for the advice, yeah I’ve got an LS1 Vz just after a mild daily cam so I’d want more low end power to punch off the line as that’s where I’ll be most of the time driving around streets etc. Been looking at the VCM 532 not a fan of very lumpy cams a bit too obnoxious

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Just curious as to what the quality issue is with the vcm cams? Poorer metal quality than other brands?

Harissz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SSZ 5.7
bit cheaper here at the moment https://www.lsxperformanceparts.com.au/vcm-532-performance-camshaft/ also check out the BTR range of camshafts they do different style to most as brian understands heads and flow
Cheers mate
Just curious as to what the quality issue is with the vcm cams? Poorer metal quality than other brands?
supposively poorer quality since it’s made in China? could be false though just read around about it but lots of people running them just bought myself the VCM 532 cam it’s a mild one pretty much entry level not after crazy lump or power so I’ll update you on how it runs

Reactions: Lex