Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'best' order

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SV6
Hey guys, I'm slowly upgrading audio in my car and was wondering what is the best order to do so. I read that head deck should be the first to get replaced i have done that and am surprised how much difference it made to the quality of the out put. but what next?
Is there a best order to upgrade in, should i get new speakers or amp the stock ones up first? Should i upgrade rear speakers, will 'I'(Don't care for the guys in the back:whistling) gain much from doing so?
Thanks for any advise you may be able to share.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What head unit did you get?

If you have a head unit with good filters to cut bas from your speakers, i'd probably get a sub and amp for the sub next... Then speakers, then speaker amp. Ideally though, i'd save and buy it all in one go to save on installation costs and hassles.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
If i was strapped for cash..but i wanted a step by step upgrade for my stereo i'd go:

1st - Head Unit
2nd -Speakers
3rd -Amplifier for the New Speakers
4th -Sub and Amp

thats prety much how i progressed with my own set up

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If i was strapped for cash..but i wanted a step by step upgrade for my stereo i'd go:

1st - Head Unit
2nd -Speakers
3rd -Amplifier for the New Speakers
3th -Sub and Amp

thats prety much how i progressed with my own set up
What's "3th"? :p

If you replace the head unit and then speakers, you're still going to have tinny average sound. At least if you get a sub and amp second you'll have full range sound and the head unit filters will allow the stock speakers to play much louder and clearer.

spxdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec Wagon, 02 VX Calais
I agree with StoneX, id get a sub and 4 chan amp, then when youve got some cash buy some FRONT speakers. By buying a 4channel amp straight up you can run the sub from 2 and youve still got 2 for when iT comes around to upgrading your speakers. I wouldn't bother trying to amp the stock speakers.. Always get good fronts and dont worry about the rears too much.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
LOL..oh man!..TYPO!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II VE SV6
I got one of these Alpine Electronics of Australia
I think it can cut the base out, at the moment i have it adding it :)
This is what i was thinking, get a sub and a 4 channel amp bridge 2 of them for the sub and the other two will cover the front speakers, if i get that all installed professionally then i should be able to do the speakers myself when the time comes. Its should just be a matter of getting the old ones out and putting the new ones in
so basically what spxdsn said.
-=EDIT=-
As I'm on a budget I'm looking at getting a jaycar amp, will audio places have a problem with fitting it because i didn't get it from them or will they just be happy to take my money. I plan to get the sub from them which would be fitted at the same time if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

spxdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exec Wagon, 02 VX Calais
Depends where you go i guess.. I sold a mate an old sub and amp of mine, one local place quoted him an insanely high price ("because the gear wasnt from them") and another was perfectly fine. The only thing is, if you buy the sub and amp from the same place and get it installed by them alot of the time they can work it ino some kind of package deal.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
What head unit did you get?

If you have a head unit with good filters to cut bas from your speakers, i'd probably get a sub and amp for the sub next... Then speakers, then speaker amp. Ideally though, i'd save and buy it all in one go to save on installation costs and hassles.
the man said it. agreed.