Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Best rims on VF

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I had a Diablo Red VR GTS and Diablo was darker red than Sting Red and in the late '90's, Zymol wax was the best I tried that really worked on that colour. With Sting Red, my eyes saw a better finish and depth with the cheap Meguiar's carnauba wax over any ceramic's I've seen on that colour.

Convinced that a wax still works best on Sting Red, I tracked down some Zymol albeit as dear as poison and did my Redline Ute with that. Zymol is hard work to buff off, but the depth and richness I ended up with was brilliant!

It's hard to see much in photos, but here's a photo when I did the Zymol wax under LED lights.

It looks great, I like that deep walk-in look that only a high quality wax gives.

An old detailer fellow once taught me how to use hard waxes by putting a piece of wax about the size of a 20 cent piece in the palm of your hand and let the warmth from your hand soften it, then use your finger tips to massage it onto the polished surface.

A bit the size of a 20 cent piece will easily do an area about half the size of a bonnet then keep repeating the same until you completely cover the painted area.

Buff off with a plush microfibre towel and let it stand for 24 hours then apply another layer.

The finish job in my photo has three layers as that is all Dodo Juice recommends with Supernatural before you start to lose the extra protection layering offers.

It a nice feeling when all you use is your finger tips as the applicator.

Layering liquid waxes offers no benefits at all, nor do they offer much protection.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I actually considered the Calais style rims too like yours at the time when I was going to order. The choices came down to the Calais style (But would have gone from SSV to get the darker inserts), "Reserve Edition" wheels (So machined face with grey insert redline wheels) or straight redline. Mostly cause I actually just really like the design!
A lot of people think the MY15/16 Calais/Caprice and SSV wheels are the same and in low light, they do virtually look the same. The difference is, the SSV wheels have darker solid grey inserts and with a satin clear coat. Calias inserts are metallic grey with a gloss clear coat and the Calias wheels pop more than the SSV wheels with greater sparkle and glitter! Typical of the average Calias wheels never cleaned properly, the metallic pop and clearcoat glitter gets camouflaged from dirt and imbedded brake dust. MY17 Calais wheels are different with dark silver inserts I think ruins the wheel design with the machined surfaces getting lost in the dark silver inserts. Reverse edition wheels I thought were pretty much the wheels fitted to the Chev SS although there may be differences.

I reckon on a Prussian Black Edition SV6, I would've put the machined face HF-20's on it, purely to satisfy my dislike of black wheels in general. Having said that, your Redline upgrade doesn't look wrong or overdone, it's a good job well thought out and could be an OEM SV6 variant!

VFSV62.jpg

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've seen white Commodores with gloss black 15X6 steel wheels, with chrome trim rings, metal centre cap and wheel nuts...

Love the look myself, with the chrome parts breaking up the black....

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
That's a fair comment but most of us are not driving around on a track.
That's why I don't have 18's, R spec tyres and 5 degrees negative camber on my Ute!

I've seen white Commodores with gloss black 15X6 steel wheels, with chrome trim rings, metal centre cap and wheel nuts...

Love the look myself, with the chrome parts breaking up the black....
The chrome maintains wheel definition instead of a solid black mass blending into the wheel arches.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Koya 20x9 and 20x10
We ordered a set of Koya wheels for a bloke a couple of years ago in "gloss silver" and when they arrived, they were more a gloss grey. I rang Koya and told them the colour is wrong and looks nothing like the "gloss silver" (like EricSSV's Koya's) they have pictured on their website. Arguing the toss with 3 blokes at Koya for 45 minutes, they swore on a stack of bibles the colour is right and they've only ever had one "gloss silver".

Here's the wheel with a test card comparison of a Duplicolor Silver Wheels spray can! It's the first and last set of wheels I'd buy from Koya!

20200306_194819.jpg

EricSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sedan Man
We ordered a set of Koya wheels for a bloke a couple of years ago in "gloss silver" and when they arrived, they were more a gloss grey. I rang Koya and told them the colour is wrong and looks nothing like the "gloss silver" (like EricSSV's Koya's) they have pictured on their website. Arguing the toss with 3 blokes at Koya for 45 minutes, they swore on a stack of bibles the colour is right and they've only ever had one "gloss silver".

Here's the wheel with a test card comparison of a Duplicolor Silver Wheels spray can! It's the first and last set of wheels I'd buy from Koya!

View attachment 257769
Im wondering if mine look lile that in some light. One pf mine arrived with a flat spot in the rim and they replaced without question. I ordered through a tyre shop.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Second gen VE Redline wheels.
I've seen a nice VE SS with the 9" rear wheels all round and 19mm wheel spacers increasing the offset to +38. The car was lowered and black in colour with 245's that weren't stretched on a 9" rim but as wide as you could go without visible stretch. The car had a tough stance to it with the polished alloy bling against the black paintwork and looked really good with these wheels and decent offset filling the guards! He'd polished the outer edge of the wheel spacers and clear coated them and unless you really knew the wheel, you couldn't tell it had spacers fitted and looked like the integral mounting boss of the wheel.

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
Black wheels started coming in probably before Holden get around to it ... recall that the shadow-chrome attrocities on dark-coloured VF1's were delivered black on light-coloured cars (and looked good in black), but I've never seen a VE2 Redline with the same pattern that wasn't a shadow-chrome finish ... so I'm going to say Holden started with the black alloys circa 2010-2012.

So they were probably starting to be a popular thing on factory cars ... circa 2005-ish?

My perception is they've started to fade out of style again now. But then I fail to notice a lot more new vehicles than I used to before they were mostly SUV's & dual-cabs.
Hello.
From memory I think Holden started on the VR GTS R which was a yellowish colour with a 3 spoke black wheels.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hello.
From memory I think Holden started on the VR GTS R which was a yellowish colour with a 3 spoke black wheels.
That’s a good point; but it was a one-off, I’m not sure black was a Thing on any OEM’s in volume back then.
I realise it was HSV rather than Holden, but that doesn’t invalidate your point at all. :)

Nando.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ssv redline.
That’s a good point; but it was a one-off, I’m not sure black was a Thing on any OEM’s in volume back then.
I realise it was HSV rather than Holden, but that doesn’t invalidate your point at all. :)
Yes I know, I was just saying that black wheels have been around for some time.