Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Big end problems. Advice on what to do.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I went to an engine builder down at Petrie with a recording of the noise and engine, owned by some old guy who has been an engine fitter and turner for 49 years, so he tells me. Anyway he looks at the recording, says its hard to tell, so he says he has a job in a suburb on the other side of my suburb so he will come down and have a look himself. He plays with some stuff, disconnects one cylinder injector at a time, etc etc.

After a few minutes of playing with it he goes "I think I know what it is, have you ever overheated this engine", yeah a couple of months back I checked my coolant and forgot to put the radiator cap back on, 45 minutes of driving and my engine overheated and started making bad noises, immediately pulled over, let it cool and it took 7 litres to bring it back to full, but engine drove fine after that, until this noise came up. He goes yep, piston slap.

So it looks like I may have cooked the bastard. Anyway I've bought a VY Executive for now, I will fix the VX engine up in a couple of months and will then slot the engine into the VY.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
This damn engine has already cost me an arm and a leg, now its after my other limbs and probably my nuts.

Just so you know... Making this my sig..

Sucks about the engine mate.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Just so you know... Making this my sig..

Sucks about the engine mate.

No probs on the sig.

Yeah, 10 second mistake will cost me ~$4000. FML.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
That sucks so much. Mine will be worse as im doing a complete rrbuild. Lets hope I dont make a mistake this cruical.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That sucks so much. Mine will be worse as im doing a complete rrbuild. Lets hope I dont make a mistake this cruical.

Problem is that I have already done a complete rebuild. I had a nice 149rwkw Ecotec going there. And the rebuild cost me $5000+ only 2.5 years ago.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That does suck. I guess all it will need is a bore and a set of pistons so not a complete rebuild but inspect bearings etc for contamination. I'd strip it down and make sure the block gets a good clean out.

If your real lucky there will be minimal damage to the bore, you might get away with just a quick hone on that pot and a single new piston.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
That does suck. I guess all it will need is a bore and a set of pistons so not a complete rebuild but inspect bearings etc for contamination. I'd strip it down and make sure the block gets a good clean out.

If your real lucky there will be minimal damage to the bore, you might get away with just a quick hone on that pot and a single new piston.

I would definately get every bearings checked. More than likely I will replace every bearing with new one. They are not expensive. And I would only replace the pistons as a set. If one has damage there may be some invisible thermal fatigue in the rest. Cam, crank and rods should be alright though, if they have been soaking in oil in the engine. I'll leave it up to the fitter guy. He seems very knowledgeable and a nice guy. He never once suggested I bring the engine to him, he just helped me out with no obligation. I like him.

On the positive side I now have brand new lifters :p