Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black bonnet on a white VS

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
According to SA guidelines, fibreglass or carbon fibre are completely legal (I checked re: bonnets). It would be the same everywhere in the country otherwise everytime someone with a bodykit was in an accident, their insurance would be void :p

It's not that simple - there are a couple of ADR approved fibreglass/carbon fibre bonnets around, but most of them cannot be legally fitted. In Qld you cannot fit one that is not already ADR Approved, or to fit one without approval you have to get approval from Qld Transport, which will only be granted after expensive testing etc.

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
Okay. My latest little itch is to get a black bonnet on my white VS, which currently has no body kit, except for a GTS wing on the back (Planning on getting a full VT clubby kit). Im thinking in my head it'll look either awesome or like I hit a roo and couldn't get white replacement bonnet. I'd love to see it before I fork out for something that might turn out looking crap. And believe it or not, I cant find one on Google.

Any opinions would be great, but if anyone has photo's, that'd be greater.

Cheers.

cool all you will need then is a type R sticker on the back window and you be on your bike.Tell your mate he is a goos and go back to auto salon.

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
i dunno ay, some cars really suit a black bonnet :yeah: like my ol mates here :yeah:

S3600004.jpg

S3600002.jpg

S3600001.jpg

:yeah: :yeah:

Mr Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV
oooh its a type S

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
dont put a black bonnet on it man, carbon fibre might look alright

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
lol yeh he put a carbon fiber monaro bonnet on the VX but soon was told to take it off becuase it was illegal :S

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
According to SA guidelines, fibreglass or carbon fibre are completely legal (I checked re: bonnets). It would be the same everywhere in the country otherwise everytime someone with a bodykit was in an accident, their insurance would be void :p

When i first insured my guards I said they were 'Custom Guards' and I got my insurance policy sent out to find "Carbon Fibre Guards" written on the policy... :cry: But I had that sorted out quick.

Well my friend had his car defected with a fibre glass monaro bonnet in NSW.... and I said panels and bonnet... NOT BODY KITS.....

So basically its legal to have a fibreglass bonnet? well go ahead but u would have 2 b an idiot as it would compromise safety "crumple" zones of your car....... if youve ever seen a damaged fibre glass rear or front bar you will notice it shatteres into pieces..... very sharp pieces whereas a metal bonnet "Folds" and absorbs the impact.... I would assume being a safety feature it would be illegal to remove (same as airbags etc).....

Can I see a link (if poss) for the SA site that says its legal plz thnx..

Last edited:

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
So far ive found this (googling the subject)

"Bodywork and interior
There are general requirements concerning alterations to the bodywork:

b) no alteration may cause a reduction in the level of safety or overall strength of the vehicle."

BUT then I found this (gulp)..... preparing to get flamed.....on a ford forum....

"Carbon fibre and Fibreglass bonnets are legal providing that you have anengineers certificate stating that it complies to ADR69. This is more for you chapel st boys,if you get pulled over and the police are trying to defect you if you dont have that piece of paper you can be defected."

Il keep searching cause Im interested now :D

Last edited: