Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bled VS but can hear gurgling coming from dash

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hey guys

I put in a new radiator into my VS.

I then put the heating on full blast, kept the radiator cap off, and opened the value above the thermostat.

I then filled it until it started coming steadily out of the valve. I lost lots of coolant with the cap off - probably more than I put in, which i guess explains the gurgling.

What am i doing wrong? Is this the right procedure?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Cap on, heater on full (not the fan) and then crack the bleed valve.

That's what I'd do.

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Cap on, heater on full (not the fan) and then crack the bleed valve.

That's what I'd do.

I did it with the cap off. How do i refill it that way? Turn it off, take the cap off and then refill? How long do i have to wait for it with your way?

Cheers

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
The process took several days with the VS I had. When cold fill it as much as you can (each time it is cold), then bleed as much as you can out of the top bleed screw after taking it for a drive. I left the cap on so as not to loose coolant.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
fill the radiator, run engine with heater on, and bleed valve open. once the engine reaches operating temp the thermostat will open and the radiator level will drop, top up radiator. once coolant starts coming back out of the radiator put the cap on. keep bleed valve open until you get consistent coolant coming out. top up the overflow tank to max. when engine cools the coolant will contract and it will suck coolant from the overflow/expansion tank back into radiator. next time you drive it, bleed it and make sure the overflow tank is topped up. do this a couple of times and it should be fine

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
fill the radiator, run engine with heater on, and bleed valve open. once the engine reaches operating temp the thermostat will open and the radiator level will drop, top up radiator. once coolant starts coming back out of the radiator put the cap on. keep bleed valve open until you get consistent coolant coming out. top up the overflow tank to max. when engine cools the coolant will contract and it will suck coolant from the overflow/expansion tank back into radiator. next time you drive it, bleed it and make sure the overflow tank is topped up. do this a couple of times and it should be fine

That's what I should have said:thumbsup::thumbsup::p

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah it always seems to take a few days of topping up and bleeding to get it perfect