Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

conmackenzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Hi there

Just bought a boot lid for my VX commodore and the looms that are OEM to the car is a little different compared to the ones that came with the new boot lid, so as you might assume I'm a bit lost. Do I need to buy a seperate loom/adapter or modify it or something? Or do I need to somehow integrate the looms provided on the new boot lid to the wires and cables on my commodore? First time installing anything on this car, and have little mechanical and auto electrical experience.

thanks

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Your photos indicate you have an Executive, and you have bought a bootlid from a Berlina / Calais with different lights. Or vice versa.
Can't help with electrical differences, but that could be the main problem, which is not insurmountable by an auto sparky.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Auto sparky is your friend.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Hi there

Just bought a boot lid for my VX commodore and the looms that are OEM to the car is a little different compared to the ones that came with the new boot lid, so as you might assume I'm a bit lost. Do I need to buy a seperate loom/adapter or modify it or something? Or do I need to somehow integrate the looms provided on the new boot lid to the wires and cables on my commodore? First time installing anything on this car, and have little mechanical and auto electrical experience.

thanks
It's not as daunting as it seems. Like figjam said, you've probably just changed from an Exec to a Berlina or something, and a Berlina has more lights than an Exec, therefore, more wires. Send me a photo of both looms, spread out as much as possible so I can see all the colours and I'll let you know what you'll need to do to pair them up.

conmackenzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore
Hey guys, thanks for your replies.
I'll get some photos up soon.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Berlina tailgates look the shizz.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Of course, they go with the matching Berlina/Calais taillights. There could be a weird overlap of lights otherwise, or lack of, depending on harness. I can't remember.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Of course, they go with the matching Berlina/Calais taillights. There could be a weird overlap of lights otherwise, or lack of, depending on harness. I can't remember.
The pics he linked were both VXs, but if you put a VX garnish on a VT it would look pretty weird, because the VT lights are "upside down" compared to the VX. Plus, it would confuse the sh*t out of me, because I use the boot keyhole as my differentiator between a VT and a VX when I'm driving past one.
vtg.jpg
vxg.jpg

<------- VT VX ------->​

Last edited: