Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bosch or NGK spark plugs for SS

Big Wazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V8
Hi my next services is 90000km for my 08 SS and time for new spark plugs. Dose it matter which ones I get the garage said it would be $27 each plug, so I'm thinking maybe Ebay to buy them. Is one brand better then the other.
Wazza

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
its up yo you but dont be fooled in to thinking the expensive iridium plugs will give you more power and stuff all they do is last longer.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Iridium plugs (NGK) all the way,They are expensive but last way longer,thats what i used on my 06 ss last week at 60,000km.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I go NGKs and change them every 10,000km , way overkill I know, but I do it anyway.

NonStick Squid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS Ute m6, VS Calais
ngk platinums are supposed to last basically forever nowadays arent they?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Bosch DOUBLE PLATINUM spark plugs are the best as they place the least amount of extra pressure on the rest of your ignition system as they wear out. They last just as long, if not LONGER than iridiums.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
or you could just get plain coppertops and replace them more often for like a 1/4 of the price- and then spend the money you save on other go fast bits? ;)
seriously, you wouldnt notice the difference in performance- because there isnt any.
the only time better quality sparkles are required is when you are doing serious engine mods, turbo conversions etc.
but for standard run of the mill engines, sticking to stock standard spark plugs is perfectly fine.... dont get sucked in to the marketing hype and keep your cash in your wallet.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Standard plugs for VZs and VEs are Bosch double platinums IIRC and they don't cost the earth either. They may cost three times more than normal copper plugs but they last a good four to five times longer so at the end of the day they're WORTH IT!