Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Lights not working and Check Powertrain

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I offer once,
I’m out of here !
Don’t compete with “Experts”
Weekend is busy now.
Will wait the result/outcome.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi Fu, you mentioned fuel delivery, any chance that the fuel pump is gone? Mine was very noisy and I assume on the way out and my mechanic has ordered a replacement. (I had done that before this occurred).
Well there is a chance it is and a chance it isn’t. A fuel pressure test solves that.

Unplug the pump and check for voltage to it.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi All, when I tried starting it yesterday with the bonnet up (no luck) there was a sound coming from the top of the engine. I have attached a photo of the approximate location. I am going to get it scanned however the curiosity as to what it could be is killing me so if anyone had any thoughts as to what is in that location and what it could be that would be appreciated. Car was running fine and starting fine until a few days ago when it ran very rough on I think Thursday (as soon as I started it) and then started and died on Friday so it happened very suddenly. Now it won't start at all. Apologies for the poor picture quality. Fuel pump primes if that helps narrow things down.

Attachments

• Sound Location.jpg
    Sound Location.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 63

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If it helps narrow things down further I had not started it for a few days as I didn't want to take it out due to brake lights not working (so it sat in my garage from Sunday until Thursday).

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Not yet. I will post when I have solved both problems in case anyone else gets the same thing

Reactions: Lex

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All, when I tried starting it yesterday with the bonnet up (no luck) there was a sound coming from the top of the engine. I have attached a photo of the approximate location. I am going to get it scanned however the curiosity as to what it could be is killing me so if anyone had any thoughts as to what is in that location and what it could be that would be appreciated. Car was running fine and starting fine until a few days ago when it ran very rough on I think Thursday (as soon as I started it) and then started and died on Friday so it happened very suddenly. Now it won't start at all. Apologies for the poor picture quality. Fuel pump primes if that helps narrow things down.
The purge solenoid sits right next that spot. That’s the only thing around there.
Inside, on an Exec, there’s nothing in there. On an SV6 you would have a valve in there that controls airflow.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Had the RACV come and scan it. Codes were P0300 multiple cylinder misfire and P0303 cylinder 3 misfire. He said it was flooded and the culprit was either spark plugs or timing chain. Anyone had any similar experiences with those codes and the car running very rough (as soon as I started it, it was running ok prior to that) and dying and got any thoughts what the most likely cause is in this case?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the only way to find out more is to download the factory manual. Then go to engine management section. Find the code relevant, and follow the flow chart for diagnosing the fault or cause.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks Fu. I take it this is a large document. Do you know of any links to it?