Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying VH V8

obsessed

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
Looking at buying a Vh V8 and the bloke doesnt know if it is a 253 or a 308, before going to look at it i just want to know how to tell if it's one or the other. I know how to tell red motors but not blue. He tells me it's got a four barrel and elec dizzy. Do you tell by engine numbers?

So can somebody please tell me?
Cheers in advance.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
If its a 253 the engine number will begin with 'VR' if its a 308 it will be 'VT'.

JJ's VR

VRHLDN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8lt Supercharged 163.8kW & VS sII HSV Senator
Best way to tell is to inspect the block itself, look for casting in the block itself. It will clearly say 253 or 308. Dont judge by rocker covers whatever you do, as they fit both 253 and 308 heads. If its a red 308, it will have points dissy. if its blue 308 it will have electronic dissy. I learnt the hard way after buying my first alledged 308 blue, it was a red 308 sprayed blue!! Found out after steam cleaning block :-(

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Best way to tell is to inspect the block itself, look for casting in the block itself. It will clearly say 253 or 308.(

Quite often it is impossible to see the number cast in the side of the block, especially when A/c is fitted. some blocks don't have the size cast on them either. The only sure way to tell is by the engine numbers.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah when the motor it in the car the best way is by looking at the engine numbers. Just coz it has a 4 barrel and an elec dizzy doesn't mean it's a blue (mine come with those as well and it was a red motor). When I first got my 253, the owner thought it was a blue 308 (prolly coz it had 308 embossed rocker covers lol). It was sitting on his shed floor and I told him to have a look on the side of the block under the exhaust...and then he rang back saying it was a 253 :p

Happened to another lad I know to, he bought a car thinking it was a 308 but when he pulled it out he found out it was really a 253. The previous owner thought it was a 308 as well....I got a feeling he might have found out it was a 253 but just not said anything.

obsessed

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 ute
Thanks for you help guys, it was a 253, blue, runs ok has a noisy lifter and could seriously do with a good tune.

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I doubt you'll find one without noisy lifters. First job to do on any Holden V8 with a few miles on it is replace the cam and lifters.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42