Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling on the Shannons (or similar) insured V8 crew, can I have a price check please.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Now that’s interesting … I didn’t know they still existed, might need to research that!
yea im with them also, they are a part of wesfarmers group so prob not going anywhere (i hope)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So I went through their questionnaire for the Volvo, including a question "is it modified" to which I answered yes. They didn't have anywhere for me to add the stuff which needed engineering (main things being turbo & aftermarket ECU) but I also added a heap of the other equipment it has over stock.
Got to the end and it recommended ... Budget Direct. Who (and I've tried before) won't touch my car with a 10' pole.

Having said that Budget Direct is good for stock vehicles (they wont cover my SSV because it’s modified). I currently have my motorbike with them as it’s not modified and I had my old SV6 through them.
Absolutely hate the thieving quote concept of specifying a bog standard vehicle at the beginning of the process and then having to put in all my identifying personal info only to be told that they don’t insure such v8 vehicles … Budget Direct and a few others were like this :mad:

Really, the quote could have been canned at the very start after identifying the vehicle and well before waisting all my time and stealing all my personal info :mad: absolute fcukers these insurance companies :mad:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Budget Direct is good for stock vehicles
Budget Direct are probably ok for a pile of junk but a nice car even stock, their crap panel shops will certainly ruin the car with substandard workmanship. That's the issue with every insurer who doesn't allow choice of repairer.

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
I got prices from Shannon’s, youi, RAC, AAMI, Cole’s and NRMA. Yes, I shop around lol.

To make a potentially long post short, I went with Cole’s.
$50k even market 2016 SSv, they know it’s modified (didn’t ask to what extent), very limited use (-5000ks a year), no drivers under 40, excess $750 and annual premium $1100. No accidents or claims last 5 years.

Cheers Si.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If that's Coles, as in Colesworths, I don't think they offer a choice of insurer. Fine if your car is just a Tesla or something & you don't care about it, but I struggle to justify spending actual money on a car I don't care about so I don't think such an insurer will ever suit me (actually I did have a car I didn't care about under comprehensive insurance, I'd tried to sell it for Dad but nobody was interested so I just took it over to avoid parking the car I cared about in door-denty places ... but it only had comprehensive insurance 'cos it was cheaper than third-party-without-theft-cover).

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Absolutely hate the thieving quote concept of specifying a bog standard vehicle at the beginning of the process and then having to put in all my identifying personal info only to be told that they don’t insure such v8 vehicles … Budget Direct and a few others were like this :mad:

Really, the quote could have been canned at the very start after identifying the vehicle and well before waisting all my time and stealing all my personal info :mad: absolute fcukers these insurance companies :mad:

The smart money doesn’t go anywhere near online quoting unless they have a bog stock common vehicle that will get an automatic quote.

Even then you’re handing over all your info to them regardless so depending on how much you value your info probably not worth doing. I always call insurance companies these days to get quotes as the online quote system is shitfuckery personified (been there, done that).

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
they know it’s modified (didn’t ask to what extent)

And you really should point out to them exactly to what extent the car is modified and have it listed on your policy.

It’s your job to notify them of your situation and if you don’t do that then you leave them an open opportunity to denying a claim in the unfortunate circumstance that you need to make one.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Budget Direct are probably ok for a pile of junk but a nice car even stock, their crap panel shops will certainly ruin the car with substandard workmanship. That's the issue with every insurer who doesn't allow choice of repairer.

That is one of the disadvantages. My old SV6 was just the family hack that got run into the ground and I wasn’t that interested in paying for choice of repairer and all that. Just cheap insurance so I was covered for eventualities which worked fine when it counted.

Nowadays that I’m more aware of the substandard workmanship that happens in the closed workshops I would always stick with a policy with choice of repairer for the SSV.

The motorbike though I figure that either the bike is going to be stolen and a total write off or I’ll be in hospital or dead in the event of a major accident (god forbid) resulting in a claim so I won’t care too much about the quality of any repairs!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I always call insurance companies these days to get quotes as the online quote system is shitfuckery personified (been there, done that).
Only done that once (Youi or Budget ?) a few years ago, just for shits and giggles, using fake info which was sorta close to the truth (address, vehicle, age etc) and just could not believe the trivial questions and answers info needed from them. Didn't submit it as I used a fake email address.
I could not understand how some questions were relevant to car insurance, apart from intelligence gathering to 'sell' to spammers.

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
And you really should point out to them exactly to what extent the car is modified and have it listed on your policy.

It’s your job to notify them of your situation and if you don’t do that then you leave them an open opportunity to denying a claim in the unfortunate circumstance that you need to make one.
Had a ve Ute with similar mods - about 7 years earlier, exact same situation. Was written off in an at fault.
Their first offer was of a standard VE (about $20k at time) and when I pointed out all the mods, they upped their offer to $31k - so I’ve got no issue insuring with them again / their process.