Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calling on the Shannons (or similar) insured V8 crew, can I have a price check please.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The smart money doesn’t go anywhere near online quoting unless they have a bog stock common vehicle that will get an automatic quote.

Even then you’re handing over all your info to them regardless so depending on how much you value your info probably not worth doing. I always call insurance companies these days to get quotes as the online quote system is shitfuckery personified (been there, done that).
Sad thing is that regardless of whether you're doing an on-line quote yourself or talking to the meatbag over the phone, the insurance company would use the same backend and gather the same data before spitting out a $ number or tell you that they don't insure that car :rolleyes:

I've called insurance companies many many many times and asked do they insure standfard v8's and they always have said they need to do a quote to find out... It's fcuked up really :mad:

And insurance brokers aren't much different as my limited experiance with has seen premiums on par or higher than dealing directly with the devil himself :eek:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Sad thing is that regardless of whether you're doing an on-line quote yourself or talking to the meatbag over the phone, the insurance company would use the same backend and gather the same data before spitting out a $ number or tell you that they don't insure that car :rolleyes:

I've called insurance companies many many many times and asked do they insure standfard v8's and they always have said they need to do a quote to find out... It's fcuked up really :mad:

And insurance brokers aren't much different as my limited experiance with has seen premiums on par or higher than dealing directly with the devil himself :eek:

True but at least you get to ask the meatbag if you can get a quote without them knowing when you shite last, whereas the online process is designed to string you along until it’s too late and you‘ve already given them all your information.

If the government actually gave a fuk about us plebs they would make it illegal for companies to harvest information they don’t need. They should also be banned from selling it on and have to delete it when you close your account with them.

We all saw from the Optus debacle what unlimited data harvesting and storage gets you (well us plebs anyway). :rolleyes:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I got prices from Shannon’s, youi, RAC, AAMI, Cole’s and NRMA. Yes, I shop around lol.

To make a potentially long post short, I went with Cole’s.
$50k even market 2016 SSv, they know it’s modified (didn’t ask to what extent), very limited use (-5000ks a year), no drivers under 40, excess $750 and annual premium $1100. No accidents or claims last 5 years.

Cheers Si.
When Coles bodgie panel shop ruins your car with a substandard repair, you'll wish you spent more on a premium with a decent insurer who allows choice of repairer.

Anyone interested in SA, the standout insurers with choice of repairer policies and easiest for good panel shops to get quality repair approval, is Allianz and RAA and they're surprisingly not the most expensive premiums. The worst quality repairs I've seen in SA on nice cars, came from AAMI repair shops!

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Budget Direct are probably ok for a pile of junk but a nice car even stock, their crap panel shops will certainly ruin the car with substandard workmanship. That's the issue with every insurer who doesn't allow choice of repairer.
I'm with Budget Direct. Choice of repairer.

My car not stock. But not any go fast bits.
I just tell them it's for fuel savings.
Ex. stock 600km per tank highway.
Highway with 6l50 & 3.46 diff 725+ km.

Haven't told them about the 6L50 trans yet.
I'm getting it engineered.

I want to turbo it, But the engineer wasn't to impressed, so probably not.:D

Probably have to find another insurance co. after it's engineered? :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm with Budget Direct. Choice of repairer.
Budget Direct like a few others who offer choice of repairer, boils down to your repairer of choice matching the repair quotes of their bodgie panel shops and a quality repairer never will, so they reject the repair. You can insist on your repairer of choice doing the job but if they quoted 6k to do the job properly and the bodgie panel shop quoted 4k for a roughie, the insurer will only pay out 4k and you pay the other 2k yourself.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Budget Direct like a few others who offer choice of repairer, boils down to your repairer of choice matching the repair quotes of their bodgie panel shops and a quality repairer never will, so they reject the repair. You can insist on your repairer of choice doing the job but if they quoted 6k to do the job properly and the bodgie panel shop quoted 4k for a roughie, the insurer will only pay out 4k and you pay the other 2k yourself.
I'm mainly insured, so, if l hit that Merc, ferrarai whatever up the a#ass, hopefully l'm covered?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm insured so if someone slams into me I don't have to haul them through court, only to get $10 a fortnight from their dole payment.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
When Coles bodgie panel shop ruins your car with a substandard repair, you'll wish you spent more on a premium with a decent insurer who allows choice of repairer.

Anyone interested in SA, the standout insurers with choice of repairer policies and easiest for good panel shops to get quality repair approval, is Allianz and RAA and they're surprisingly not the most expensive premiums. The worst quality repairs I've seen in SA on nice cars, came from AAMI repair shops!
Allianz won't insure my SSV in Sydney.
Am I too high a risk for them, despite being old?
NRMA, which should be similar to RAA are hell expensive for me.
GIO is $750, with a $795 excess and choice of repairer.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm mainly insured, so, if l hit that Merc, ferrarai whatever up the a#ass, hopefully l'm covered?
I'm reasonably confident with crash avoidance control to avoid at fault claims except for hitting kangaroos, but it's someone damaging my car with no insurance and no money.

I'm insured so if someone slams into me I don't have to haul them through court, only to get $10 a fortnight from their dole payment.
Yes, exactly! But you don't get anything from their dole payment when applying Section 60 of the Social Securities Act. It's only crown fines and tax debts that a court can order someone pay off from a Centrelink payment.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Allianz won't insure my SSV in Sydney.
Am I too high a risk for them, despite being old?
I had insurance issues for about 10 years after I got caught drag racing at 18 doing 161 kmph in an 80 zone. High risk rejection timed out eventually!