Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cam for VS

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Without a new tune you wont be using anywhere near as much of the extra power from the cam as you could be gaining, it would be a waste and would run rough and probably use excess fuel.

this might sound kinda dumb (dont flame me:p) but every1 keeps talking about getting this tune or getting that tune but dosent the cars stock computer tune the car automaticaly to best suit econommy/performance? so when everyone says get a tune ect are they talking about ripping out the stock computer and replaceing it with a custom computer that can be manualy programed? or is it just useing the stock computer with a moddified performance chip put into the computer some how? (can see i wasnt paying attention in computer class:unsure:lol)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
this might sound kinda dumb (dont flame me:p) but every1 keeps talking about getting this tune or getting that tune but dosent the cars stock computer tune the car automaticaly to best suit econommy/performance? so when everyone says get a tune ect are they talking about ripping out the stock computer and replaceing it with a custom computer that can be manualy programed? or is it just useing the stock computer with a moddified performance chip put into the computer some how? (can see i wasnt paying attention in computer class:unsure:lol)

in most cases, no. the best way to tune our commodores is with a software called kalmaker, which allows real time dyno tuning of the factory delco pcm (ecu, whatever you would like to call it - the brains of the engine and transmission).
with kalmaker you can change hundreds of the parameters in the pcm and retain a factory "smoothness" which is usually lost when using piggyback or replacement ecu's....plus the delco itself is a great unit, much better than all but the very very expensive aftermarket items.

i think you may be a little confused about how the delco works to self correct itself. it does not automatically adjust itself in a manner like having the engine tuned does. it can make small corrections, but is always limited by the factory set guidelines/specifications in the factory tune.
so, it can pick up a signal from the oxygen sensors that its running lean and needs more fuel and simple things like that - which is how it makes itself run economically.
but when it comes to something like changing the cam, which as i said before changes the whole characteristics of the engine and its power delivery the pcm cannot adjust far enough out of its parameters to suit, plus there is a considerable amount of things that must be changed, like timing for instance, which the pcm cannot change itself.

to answer john's question, you WILL need a tune to suit with a cam change (as you would note from my explanation above). a cam grind can be as cheap as a couple of hundred dollars, thats why i think its so humerous that companies ask so much ($1k+) for a cam and chip package, when you could get a custom cam grind and a kalmaker tune for about the same money and have MUCH better results. :thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
oh ok but if i get a tune wont i have to get it redone after every time i get another mod??

that depends on the mod really. but yes, the tune should be the last thing on the list after all mods have been done/installed.
if you where going to slowly build up the engine (ie, do the cam..then later on the heads,etc..) which is the expensive way to do it then you'd need to retune after each major change is made. although the car would run, it probably wouldnt run very well....ive had my car (alot of engine work done, stroker crank, cam, heads, everything really) running on the stock tune before, but it ran like a pig and needed to be held at rpm to start it...but it ran enough to drive to the workshop to get a tune.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
no worries man, ive got a VS that ive put a c.o.m.e. 4.2L stroker into with a decent enough cam, ported heads + rockers and valve springs,etc..
the best its done on the dyno is 155kw (207hp), which is ok, but ive got a blower to put on it yet so it'll improve quite nicely :D

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
jesus mate thats impressive wat u lookin at getting with the charger?
also was just thinking do u sugest i put of the cam and do other mods first thing like rockers and head work and say a shift kit then the cam. would that be better or just go the cam first?? sorry for all the questions lol

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
rockers are pointless if you are getting a cam mate. Just get a cam that gives you the lift you want/need and it'll do the job of rockers too. If you're planning on headwork get it done at the same time as the cam and get it all tuned all at once. Do shiftkit before or after its up to you. I did cam first then diff then shiftkit. But the stage 2 crow cam was a total waste of money i found. Made about as much difference as extractors i reckon so go bigger mate.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
oh ok so u reckon stage 3 should be right?

I would be more inclined to ring WADE or CROW and tell them your needs/wants and get them to make up a custom grind for you rather than an off the shelf cam. But yeah i'd atleast get a stage 3.