Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can I get away without hardener and thinner?

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
so what is the point of getting someone to put it in the can, thats what i dont get, if it wont harden, it wont harden if i brush it or spray it???

and yeah im fine with letting the car sit open for a few days, couldnt be moved without massive effort at the moment anyway

how about if i brush paint it, then clear coat enamel it? will that be fine?

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
As i said it is a C.O.B it doesnt HAVE hardner , look just brush it on it will dry then just clear it . Ull be fine . Oh an Soop , no offence , it will harden just takes time thats all ( tradesman 25 yrs ):beer chug:

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
sweet sweet. any tips for prepping the door? (its the sinde of the door, around the trim, not really the jamb, from a VS, factory white) is primer necessary?

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
Nope no primer is neccesary , just get some scotchbright ( readily available from bunnings , super cheap and any leading paint supplier ) give the inside of the door a real good scrub to remove the shine ( a bit of ajax or jiff will help you out there , be sure to remove it all though ) wipe it all down with a bit of turps or wax an grease , mask up wht you dont want paint on and hit her up:beer chug:

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Hey I'm not going to argue, I've only got about 6yrs experience.
I was just splitting hairs. I thought to be technical the polymers wont interlock without the catalyst, thus my saying It will dry, but not technically harden.

In the same sense regular enamel paint wont harden to the same degree.
I'm just going on what my text books said on this.

Lepht, Its the clear coat that has the catalyst in it. Not the base coat with C.O.B

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
whats the problem with driving it to a shop, handing over the tin of colour and shelling out a few bucks to get one of the painters to go over the door?

brush painting will look so fail, hairlines all over it especially if its a metallic. you will look at it everyday and cry. and no amount of clear and blocking back will get rid of the stripes in the colour.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
After about twenty years they harden lmao

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
Just had my friend come around, shes an art student and has a steady hand (I smoke, so i shake like a mofo), we went to an art store and she bought a brush she though would be suitable for the best finish, went to bunnings and sanded it back very lightly and used ajax to clean off the crap, just painted the first layer, the paint was already ridiculously thin, and it looks amazing. will need a second coat and a clear, which ill do tomorrow, but there is no hairstrokes, it looks as uniform as the factory door colour of the front door.
I'm very happy with the result :), that and ill never really open the door anyway. Was flash dry in under 5 minutes.

@ari, I really dont have any money that isnt put away for other things, and I inquired a few places recently to help with the body kit gapping, they all said wait til next year, theyre fully booked.

59788573.jpg

:)