Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can I get away without hardener and thinner?

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
the only thing that would ever come in contact is water, and so far that's done crap all. I'll be clear coating it tomorrow anyway, and pretty sure you guys said you don't add hardener to COB, only to the clear
Anyway, Can I use an acrylic clear, because I want to continue using the brush? and should i thin it?

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
shouldn't be an issue using an acrylic over 2k base?

and what kinda thinners to acrylics use?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
general purpose or acrylic thinners but i tried to respray the front edge of my bonnet with acrylic over the 2 pac and it all went to **** where the primer ended the acrylic i used reacted badly with the 2 pac went through hell trying to blend it and have it not react ( 2 pack bubbled up almost immediatley after spraying with acrylic on top) , dont know if it always happens but it did on my old bonnet.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
shouldn't be an issue using an acrylic over 2k base?

and what kinda thinners to acrylics use?

You don't actually have a 2k base.
The 2k part comes from having two components. I.e the clear coat and catalyst.
Your base coat doesn't have the catalyst so its essentially the same as acrylic.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
MMmmmmm art student :smoking: ....oh .Um yeah Soop essentially is similar to acrylic , but I recommend he uses the enamel clear by using acrylic he runs the risk of it frying up , an the door nearly looks as good as the art student so it'd be a shame to ruin it . Be safe use the enamel :spot on:

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Fair call.
I've never been a fan of normal Enamel paint. No real reason frankly, just everyone I've worked with has hated it so I've never really got to use it. I did a little at tafe years ago, its a total slut to clean up.

lepht93

Well, you're wrong.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore Executive
Fair call.
I've never been a fan of normal Enamel paint. No real reason frankly, just everyone I've worked with has hated it so I've never really got to use it. I did a little at tafe years ago, its a total slut to clean up.

you can say that again lol.
You really do have to wait 16 hours between brushing coats or it goes gluggy. Second coated it today, clear enameling it tomorrow. Also did my window surrounds today, waiting for them to dry properly.

and it certainly doesn't smell like acrylic.