Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can the Cam?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Come on you know you want to be blown. ;)

Personally if you are not chasing numbers then a cam with a nice attitude is the way I’d go.

I’d want it to display a little bit of look at me for when a car pulls up next to you at the lights or while cruising down the street but it wouldn’t have to be the quickest thing on the planet.

No point in a cam if it doesn’t add to the aural excitement of the car, you may as well go forced induction if that’s the case.

Yeah but, I thought we were talking about cars?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have the best of both worlds, Sucked and Blown!

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
I have a 224/232 on 114lsa and with the standard converter became annoying as hell in traffic due to pushing on the auto. I eventually stalled it with a 3700-4000 stall and I luv it! The intake duration and lsa are the key measures to consider. I’d recommend a 114 lsa and intake duration of less than 224 if you drive in traffic or like good manners. If you haven’t already check out the cam selector app on the comp cams website. It works well.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I have a 224/232 on 114lsa and with the standard converter became annoying as hell in traffic due to pushing on the auto. I eventually stalled it with a 3700-4000 stall and I luv it! The intake duration and lsa are the key measures to consider. I’d recommend a 114 lsa and intake duration of less than 224 if you drive in traffic or like good manners. If you haven’t already check out the cam selector app on the comp cams website. It works well.

Odd, as my cam is similar spec and i get no pushing. Only annoying thing is when you're crawling in traffic with the foot off the brake it does jerk a bit.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Odd, as my cam is similar spec and i get no pushing. Only annoying thing is when you're crawling in traffic with the foot off the brake it does jerk a bit.
Tunes make big difference here.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I brought this discussion on my pending MSE upgrade from the "Are HSV 325 headers an upgrade" to back here. Apologies for that.
So I called Gentech this morning. DPE Walky system is available. They will fit this and tune for $5,900. Tune would be more aggressive than the W375 pack, which they said was very conservative. But still a very safe tune. They said they don't recommend chasing every last peak KW, which is good. So TQ everywhere under the curve should be better than W375. Just no supposed Walkarranty. Alterntively, they will fit the 340 headers, high flow cats and tune for $1,440. They said the main issue is the shitty cats and they can fit good high flow cats with a good entry angle. So, it's DPE with no Walky warranty, or modded HSV for $4,460 less. That's a fair bit of coin! So I expect the DPE path will gain more peak KW. Maybe 385? But, the HSV Tri-Y's with modded cat entry and high flow cats may be a bit better in bottom end TQ and not say 365/370. As I said before, I can't see the value for such a small net gain. Yes the DPE sounds great. But so does my Redline with the HSV bits and HF cats. With the money I save, I can add a can down the track... You're probably all sick of hearing my muses. But, that's where I'm at. It's a simple cost benefit decision now.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I brought this discussion on my pending MSE upgrade from the "Are HSV 325 headers an upgrade" to back here. Apologies for that.
So I called Gentech this morning. DPE Walky system is available. They will fit this and tune for $5,900. Tune would be more aggressive than the W375 pack, which they said was very conservative. But still a very safe tune. They said they don't recommend chasing every last peak KW, which is good. So TQ everywhere under the curve should be better than W375. Just no supposed Walkarranty. Alterntively, they will fit the 340 headers, high flow cats and tune for $1,440. They said the main issue is the shitty cats and they can fit good high flow cats with a good entry angle. So, it's DPE with no Walky warranty, or modded HSV for $4,460 less. That's a fair bit of coin! So I expect the DPE path will gain more peak KW. Maybe 385? But, the HSV Tri-Y's with modded cat entry and high flow cats may be a bit better in bottom end TQ and not say 365/370. As I said before, I can't see the value for such a small net gain. Yes the DPE sounds great. But so does my Redline with the HSV bits and HF cats. With the money I save, I can add a can down the track... You're probably all sick of hearing my muses. But, that's where I'm at. It's a simple cost benefit decision now.

Asdie from the cost / benefit equation, I see the main issue as how long do you spend at peak power vs how often would you use the better bottom end.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Two LS3, porque no las dos?
imgres

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 111