Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can the parking sensors be disabled?

Greg SV6

Reaction score
Before positioning for a reverse, I check the area to make sure there are no kids/animals in my path. If there are kids/animals around, I make sure I know where they all are as I'm reversing. If one happens to crawl into the path of the car, I would notice them missing from where they were originally. If I can't see one, I stop the car and go no further until they're all accounted for.

If a child were to crawl/toddle onto the driveway, the sensors would not help as they are constantly beeping anyway. I would know about it the same way I always have which is through area-awareness.

I don't really want to argue the usefulness of the sensors as it's an individual preference. For me, they're not useful and I don't like them, so I want to disable them :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Seeings you have a towbar, make sure this is selected in the dash menu under park assist, it asks if a towbar is fitted or not. If you have one and dont tell the computer the sensors will go off more than necessary.

As for the location of the speaker it depends if the sensors were factory fitted or fitted at predelivery. Turn the ignition on, engine off, and place the car in reverse. Open the tailgate and follow the noise to narrow down its location. It will either be above the headlining or behind the side carpets in the cargo area,

Vkturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais 6L
On the VE calais there was just a button on the centre console to turn them off surely the sports wagon would be the same

DJBAL4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V Series
Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 VE Calais V sedan with park assist both front and rear.
I recently fitted an emergency services bar with a 20 inch led light bar to the front where the rego plate screws onto.
Light bar is awesome upgrade, BUT!!

The front park sensors are detecting an obstacle directly in front of the car.
I tried turning off the front park assist via the switch on the centre console, which did the job, but now the entire system has shut down and I get a visual warning between the speedo and tachometer alerting me of this.
The "trip" button on the steering wheel takes this big message away, and leaves a smaller reminder.
I would welcome any advice on how many park assist modules are fitted, where they are located and what plugs to disconnect .
If I can safely remove a connection plug to disable just the front sensors would make me a happier driver.
According to the wiring diagram in my Haynes workshop manual, there is a "object alarm module " connector showing 3 connections (A, B, & C)
Can I disconnect any of theirs??
Can anyone tell me the location of this connector if this will keep the rear park assist ON & disable the front ones?
If it only has one module, then I will disconnect it and go without

Many thanks in advance

Djbal4

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well the VE sedan has a white connector in the boot just behind the battery. The bodgy tow bar joint I used disconnected it which silenced the rear ones until I found it and plugged it back in.
I bet there's another one in the front just follow the wiring from the front parking sensors to the plug. It won't be far away as this needs to be disconnected to remove the front bumper whenever required.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
would that make the car illegal

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
No idea, if it's considered a safety device then yes but if it's only to assist with parking...
I actually like my parking sensors as the drivers Vision from a VE is bloody terrible...

Jimgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Hi All,
Coming from a 2002 VX Sedan, I just bought an MY10 SV6 Sportswagon. Love the look and feel of it and the extra grunt, but there are a few things I'd like to sort out.

The main one is the parking sensors. I find them bloody annoying. First there is a beep when I select reverse to tell me they are activated (thanks, car, for letting me know I selected reverse). Then they start beeping as I approach the kerb to enter the driveway, then beep constantly to remind me I'm reversing past walls along the side of the driveway. It keeps beeping when the driveway levels out at the bottom of a hill (detecting the gradient change as an obstacle), and beeping reaches panic levels when I come close to the garage and doesn't stop until the car is inside the garage with Park selected.

Similarly, reverse parking between two cars triggers incessant beeping until the car is parked.

Since the beeping is pretty much constant whenever I've got the car in reverse, I can't see how the 'park assist' feature could possibly be useful.

Is there a way to disable this feature? I've had a look through the manual and also searched the web but can't find anything useful. I find it hard to believe that Holden included this as a standard feature without giving drivers the ability to turn it off.

Any suggestions appreciated :)
So did you ever work out how to turn these insanely annoying things off or have them so they work only if you manually turn them on. Hate the way they beep every time you select Drive or Reverse. Drives me nuts!