Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can you get fined based on a report

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Coppers are always "on duty". All this crap about them not being able to do anything unless they are on duty/in uniform/wearing their hat/making the West Coast Gang Sign is all bullshit. A copper has the same authority whether on duty or off. Most choose not to do anything official while off duty because who wants all that paperwork on your day off?

Mr_Clubsport

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Coppers are always "on duty". All this crap about them not being able to do anything unless they are on duty/in uniform/wearing their hat/making the West Coast Gang Sign is all bullshit. A copper has the same authority whether on duty or off. Most choose not to do anything official while off duty because who wants all that paperwork on your day off?

had a 'off duty' policeman report me for speeding, i received a infringment letter in the mail, took it the the police station as it stated a policeman witnessed my speeding and i argued it :) they only gave me a warning as 1. he was off duty 2. no way he could tell what speed i was going.

NSW law might be different to SA law!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Might be different in WA too. Over here the uniform just basically identifies them, they have the same power whether on or off duty.

Mr_Clubsport

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
lol oh well... he just wants to know out of curiosity! so it don’t really matter :p

In SA, u get a warning, maybe a 2nd for your second offence, and 3rd they look at the car.

but saying that, it would have to be like fairly bad reports.

" he changed lanes with out indication"
"he was tapping his break lights which blinded me"

those would probably be dismissed and you would get a warning for all like that.

when its like

"he did and massive burnout in the middle of the intersection"
"he just was speeding and weaving in-between cars and cutting people off"

they would take them more serious.

and the police now don’t take anonymous callers, you have to give the correct information in case you have to go to court, this also stops you enemies ringing up and abusing you hell off you.

also if you have a decent alibi then the warning is dropped.

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
two off duty police officers witnessed my mate doing what they said was over 130km/h in a 50 zone, they called him into police station and he admited to it and got 6 months loss of licence and 1700 fine. now he has to sell his car because of it. lol

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
There's a lesson dont admit to it if they dont have proof.

Same with gettin pulled over, if they dont have the radar proof of ur speed, they will ask you how fast u were goin as proof, thats why they all have a nice cam/voice recorder for proof.

Mr_Clubsport

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
two off duty police officers witnessed my mate doing what they said was over 130km/h in a 50 zone, they called him into police station and he admited to it and got 6 months loss of licence and 1700 fine. now he has to sell his car because of it. lol

well he admitted! DUH

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
well he admitted! DUH

yeah i was not agreeing or disagreeing i was basically just telling a story. they told him admit to it or go to court he chose to admit it, quite silly i think considering his mother is a lawyer, maybe she gave him legal advise to cop it on the chin

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
hey everyone,

out of curiosity, if someone was drifting or sliding however you put it, can a pedestrian or another driver get your number plate etc and inform the police. if so, can the police fine you or even remove demerit points based on a report?

thanks

Of course they can. The witness just needs to be prepared to give evidence in court. No different to any other crime - just because the police didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen and certainly doesn't mean you can't be charged and duly convicted

If theres no photos they got no evidence :p

Other than the black lines painted on the road for a few months I suppose not. :bang:

The bottom line is yes, you could get charged for it, but should you end up contesting it in court it wouldn't be hard to shoot down if the only evidence the police had was a single non-police eyewitness.

Ya reckon??? I think if it got to court it getting out of it might be harder than you would think. That said, most defendants screw themselves over before they realize it from what I understand.

Reaper

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Just found something in the Vehicle Impoundment book which you can pick up from any Police station.

So who is policing you?

Road safety is a shared responsibility and all Victorians can contribute to safer roads and safer driver behaviour.

You can have your car impounded if you are:
* Caught by the Police committing any impoundement offence.
* Caught by a speed camera for excessive speeds.
* Reported by a member of the public who sees you doing any of these offences.