Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can't rev past 5,000 RPM? and weird vibration when driving under 100 at 2,000RPM on 5th gear.

WhiteCommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Commodore VE V6 3.6L Auto
Hey guys, here again.

So I have two weird problems with my Commodore VE Ute 2008 5spd automatic.

1) the car has recently gotten a gearbox change, (torque converter stayed the same) and after driving it for a while I realised that it does not rev past 5,000RPM. I used to be able to go past it and get up to 8,000RPM (redline starts at 7,000). No matter how much i rev or how hard i can drive it does not get past 5,000. Im not sure whats the cause?

2) Another one is that the car startes to vibrate or rumble in like a vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise when im going under between 95-100 kph specifically during 5th gear at 2,000 RPM. my whole cabin shakes and im wondering if its the tyres or something related to the gearbox or a sensor issue? im not sure any.

Any ideas will highly be appreciated i've never encountered these issues ever before in my life haha.

Thank you all

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Turning a stock V6 to 8000rpm probably isn't good for it and seeing as you've changed the transmission and now you have issues I'd suggest the new...used? transmission is probably suspect.

Cruise at 2000rpm in 5th and then manually shift it to 4th. If the problem goes away, it's most likely transmission related, if it stays than it's something else.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You would have to think a stock v6 Wouldn’t be making any meaningful power at those rpm’s if it can even get there
But stacks of blow by, turning quality oil into sludge.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I also agree that it's probably to do with the transmission, given that it's been repaired recently... These 5 spds are considered to be the dud of the VE range (reliability wise), however you probably also play a part in things going wrong if you're revving it to 8k RPM all of the time...