Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Insurance + Modifications

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I'm with AAMI and have all my mods listed on the policy. Tint, alloys and modified suspension. A lot of others wouldn't even look at me.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I'm with AAMI as well.

20"s, tint, lowered suspension, no dramas.

But your issue isnt really with the insurer, its with the registration body in your state (speaking of which, put your location in your profile so people can be more specific to your state requirements).
Every insurer has a nice big clause in their policy stating the unless your car is roadworthy, it's not insured.
So because they list it on the policy doesnt mean it's approved from a roadworthy standpoint.

What state you in?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
If anyone has information on getting a engineer's certificate for bigger rims that would be great, currently in Victoria it's illegal to have rims larger than 2" more than what your car came out with.

So I'm guessing you're in Vic then?

According to this document- http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/7A14DDDC-3DF3-4ADD-9821-B8C7816777A3/0/VSI26web.pdf, it refers you back to VSI8 for modified cars (this document http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf.

And in that it says (paraphrased) that the aftermarket rim you get cant be:

More than 25mm (1 inch) wider than stock.
More than 15mm in rolling diameter difference.
Scrubbing any part of the body.
More than 25mm increase to track width.

So, in a nutshell- you aint fitting 22's legally.... and you wont find an engineer who will sign off on something that contradicts VicRoads standards (and who still wants to keep their approved engineer status).

My car came standard with 17" alloys and I'm looking at a set of 20-22" rims. I always see ridiculously low, expensive cars on this site that would need insurance.
How does one get away with a set of aftermarket rims?
Can an engineer's certificate be had for a set of big rims so that it's legal?
What insurance company would you recommend for a car that's going to be modified, especially for a male driver under the age of 24?
What mods have you 'gotten away' with in the past?

Quick answers to the above:
They arent insured.
You dont get away with it. When the assessor comes along and sees your car in unroadworthy, he stamps "get stuffed" on your insurance claim.
Nup, still has to satisfy regulations.
AAMI has always been good to me, but do the ring around or get quotes online.
That's the 2nd time you used the reference to "gotten away"... gotten away from what? You honestly think you are smarter than the insurance companies, or are you talking about police and defects? Because getting a defect is FAR BETTER than getting your insurance cancelled when you really need it in an accident. You dont get away with anything mate.... its the insurance companies that get away with it. Any excuse they can use to stop or limit a payout will be used because they are a business- not your friend. YOU, wont 'get away' with anything. Not having a go.... just stating the hard facts.

You arent the first person to try, and wont be the last. Insurance companies love people who pay them premiums every year... and then when the **** hits the fan and they knock back a claim, they say "thanks for all the years of premiums, but your car isnt roadworthy so see ya later". So when you see cars dropped on their arse and riding on 25" bling bling, regardless of the rego and insurance payments they keep making, they ARENT covered.

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
i wouldn't insure anywhere else other than shannons....

they are really good to deal with..

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
anyone had any trouble with Bingle insurance. seems to doing a lot of advertising. but u cant talk on phone to a human. no contact number only claims number.. and bingle can only be contact via email. someone said there linked to AAMI. just a brance off AAMI

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I guess I left out some important details, I'm a 21 year old male in VIC, never had insurance in my life, never claimed or been in a car accident.

Currently I'm paying $200 a month for an '07 VE Berlina with no mods (yet), am I paying too much? Or can I expect to pay this amount because I'm a first-timer plus a male under the age of 25v

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
One of the benefits of being old.. this is for my wifes weekender..

attachment.php

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
So I'm guessing you're in Vic then?

According to this document- http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/7A14DDDC-3DF3-4ADD-9821-B8C7816777A3/0/VSI26web.pdf, it refers you back to VSI8 for modified cars (this document http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf.

And in that it says (paraphrased) that the aftermarket rim you get cant be:

More than 25mm (1 inch) wider than stock.
More than 15mm in rolling diameter difference.
Scrubbing any part of the body.
More than 25mm increase to track width.

So, in a nutshell- you aint fitting 22's legally.... and you wont find an engineer who will sign off on something that contradicts VicRoads standards (and who still wants to keep their approved engineer status).

Quick answers to the above:
They arent insured.
You dont get away with it. When the assessor comes along and sees your car in unroadworthy, he stamps "get stuffed" on your insurance claim.
Nup, still has to satisfy regulations.
AAMI has always been good to me, but do the ring around or get quotes online.
That's the 2nd time you used the reference to "gotten away"... gotten away from what? You honestly think you are smarter than the insurance companies, or are you talking about police and defects? Because getting a defect is FAR BETTER than getting your insurance cancelled when you really need it in an accident. You dont get away with anything mate.... its the insurance companies that get away with it. Any excuse they can use to stop or limit a payout will be used because they are a business- not your friend. YOU, wont 'get away' with anything. Not having a go.... just stating the hard facts.

You arent the first person to try, and wont be the last. Insurance companies love people who pay them premiums every year... and then when the **** hits the fan and they knock back a claim, they say "thanks for all the years of premiums, but your car isnt roadworthy so see ya later". So when you see cars dropped on their arse and riding on 25" bling bling, regardless of the rego and insurance payments they keep making, they ARENT covered.

I don't think I'm smarter than insurance companies, and I understand where you're coming from, just seeing all these decked out Chrysler 300Cs and VE Clubbys rolling around with 22's and slapped on their arses makes me think "how do they get away with it?".

Like I said, this is my first time insuring a car, I know close to nothing but slowly learning.

I guess I'll just have to stick with suspension package, darkest legal tint and the factory 17s for now, 18-19s just don't cut it for me.

Cheers for the responses.

BlueSteele

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV Sportswagon
I thought with Shannons, you cant drive more than a certain amount of days per year??

Im with Just car and I just told them all my mods. They didnt ask questions, they just added all the mods to the policy. My exhaust cost me extra $39 and gave me extra $800 on car value, however brakes and cam didnt cost me anything.
I pay $1300 with $500 excess....but im 32
Recently I tried Youi, triple the price, Bingle dont touch these kind of cars, Racv was $1900 and Alliance wouldnt give me online quote due to mods. I had an accident last year and Just car were awesome. They even covered my blown tyre from the accident which was classed as unroadworthy as it was close to bald. They said, the impact of tyre damage would of been the same with a new tyre. So I cant complain with them.