Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car speakers - 2way, 3way, speakers splits. what does it all mean??

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The sub outputs on that head unit do filter the high frequencies out and the frequency is adjustable in the audio settings of the head unit. I prefer to still set the amp's low pass filter to 100Hz or so and use the head unit's filter at 60-80Hz depending on the music.

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The sub outputs on that head unit do filter the high frequencies out and the frequency is adjustable in the audio settings of the head unit. I prefer to still set the amp's low pass filter to 100Hz or so and use the head unit's filter at 60-80Hz depending on the music.

Yer well at the moment i have a sub and stock speakers, ive set the headunit with a highpass filter for my speakers so they actually go pretty loud for stockies!
Although i cannot wait to get some decent ones and amp them :)

I guess it all comes down to personal preference and what sounds good hey...

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
explain something to do the dumb ... highpass filter?

Im going to setup my 4 speakers to an amp (obviously). Would a highpass filter help as well or not? Like everyone Im searching for clearer sound and a bit of bass without the muddy sound.

Next will be to setup a 12" sub but thats later on down the track

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
explain something to do the dumb ... highpass filter?

Im going to setup my 4 speakers to an amp (obviously). Would a highpass filter help as well or not? Like everyone Im searching for clearer sound and a bit of bass without the muddy sound.

Next will be to setup a 12" sub but thats later on down the track

If you have JUST speakers you do not want to filter out any sounds.

Filters are useful in sub setups because you can make it so the speakers only play the higher notes past a certain frequency while a sub will play the lower notes past a certain frequency.

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
matt while you're at it you'd probably wanna look at 6" for the rear... as a general rule if you're going to run a sub or subs, there's not as much need for 6x9's in the rear shelf. Plus theyre a fair bit more stuffing around than replacing the stocko 6" with better 6", obviously. And you retain the smooth stock look of the parcel shelf, because 6x9's will probably need spacers. If you get stuck i'm sure glenn will be able to help ya :thumbsup:

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I dunno, Ive heard theres advantages to the 6x9 parcel shelf thus why Calais use it because it sits much higher then the door speakers it supposidly projects the sound better. I did once start to do it to the VX and agree, its alot of stuffing around, then again so can feeding the new speaker wire through the little rubber hose thing between the doors.

Im still tossing it up whether to just replace and amp all 4 door speakers, or just replace and amp the front speaker, add parcel shelf speakers, and just leave the rear door speakers alone. At least if anything happens to the amp like it overheats or gets bounced around a bit too much I can still hear music through the rear door speakers.

Im just concerned coz I was in a car thats had thousands spent on its audio system and the damn amp overheated 5 mins into the journey. Boring ride after that and I figured I might need a plan B in my car ...

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
I dunno, Ive heard theres advantages to the 6x9 parcel shelf thus why Calais use it because it sits much higher then the door speakers it supposidly projects the sound better. I did once start to do it to the VX and agree, its alot of stuffing around, then again so can feeding the new speaker wire through the little rubber hose thing between the doors.

i don't know what model calais your talking about but mine had 6inch subs and so does the monaro

if it was me, ill be getting some high quality splits and 6inchs in the back, i dont see how 6x9s are worth it.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok there is some not so correct stuff being said here.

you need filters for the plain reason to protect the speaker and to let it only play the frequencies it can accurately reproduce. so filters should be set even when there is no sub.

a 6x9 is not as good as a round cone at reproducing sound. there is no advantage to having speakers in the shelf compared to the door because the rears should have a very limited frequency range and are usually only there for either rear passengers or because the front speakers dont 'fill' the whole car with sound.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
ooohhh interesting!!!

barbs I always thought the rear shelves were a 6x9 oval? I know the lower end cars that have the cutouts not yet cutout are a 6x9 shape

garfa, thanks for the info. In that case I might as well just amp the rear door speakers as well.

Im not going for competition audio here thus why Im modding the head unit rather then buying a new one, I just want the damn thing to not go muddy and have a little bit of bass when I turn up a good song :thumbsup:

Im hoping by amping a decent set of door speakers I'll be right :D