Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car value in the coming years

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Anyone have any idea how the Holden plant shutting down will effect the resale value of our cars? More specifically, the Monaro. I'm interested in getting one someday, hoping i does miss the bus so-to-speak and watch them climb up in value over the next few years.

I would imagine the GTO (HSV Coupe) is going to rocket in 10 years, or won't this be the case?

Thanks

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Monaro will be un-affected either way. VFII's will probably (slightly) hold their value better than previous models for a while but they will ultimately drop like everything else.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Monaro will be un-affected either way. VFII's will probably (slightly) hold their value better than previous models for a while but they will ultimately drop like everything else.

Interesting, any specific reason why? I could can understand them holding, but i would have assumed they would rise.

Yeah, i've come to that realization with my car. It's a great car and everything but eventually it'll be worth nothing but whatever it means to me. That's why i would like a car i personally love and wouldn't care about the resale value.

I'm guessing the VFII's will hold because of the LS3?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Best thing to do is to look at the HSV and rare models that are at their lowest value at the moment. VR,VS,VT,VX clubsports, senators and granges (vs granges are on the rise now) are quite cheap at the moment. The VN SS is becoming more and more rare and their value is increasing extremely quickly, even though there's not really anything special about them.

I can't see the late model monaro's being worth huge money anytime soon.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Best thing to do is to look at the HSV and rare models that are at their lowest value at the moment. VR,VS,VT,VX clubsports, senators and granges (vs granges are on the rise now) are quite cheap at the moment. The VN SS is becoming more and more rare and their value is increasing extremely quickly, even though there's not really anything special about them.

Mmm, interesting. I've seen one for sale recently and the asking price did shock me a bit, so that does make sense. I guess it's because parts are hard to come by these days, especially in good quality.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon

Yeah funny how the cars that become the most valuable are the ones no one wanted at the time and are therefore rare.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Some cars seem to go through phases. Out of curiosity I looked at the prices of a Sandman and I thought I saw them selling for around $40K.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps

This is correct. If I had cash and room I'd be buying VR-VS HSV anything. They will go up -everything Holden/HSV will go up the way all the 70s classics started rising in the 90s/00s. HK-HQ Monaros were plentiful and affordable in the 80s then look what happened. Hell, even base models of classics go through the roof eventually. It will all happen even quicker once there's no local manufacturing... VFII will be worth $4k in 2030 but probably $40k again in 2040, maybe double that in 2050. Imagine what the small amount of HSVs still left on the road then will fetch :)

Having said that, we probably wont be able to drive or even fuel them up in 2050 so it's all speculation.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
IMHO the HSV Monaro's will never go down any more than they are right now imo, they are already a bit rare and very valuable.

Standard ones will drop off a bit but not a great deal more for a decent example, they are holding quite firm.

V6 examples dunno, can't see any appeal there despite "rarity".

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
IMHO the HSV Monaro's will never go down any more than they are right now imo, they are already a bit rare and very valuable.

Standard ones will drop off a bit but not a great deal more for a decent example, they are holding quite firm.

V6 examples dunno, can't see any appeal there despite "rarity".

I bet that's what people thought about 186s-powered HK Monaros. We all know what happened there...