Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car value in the coming years

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I weep when i think of some of my cars and what i sold them for. HG GTS 2k. HT 327 manual Premier $2300. HD Premier $900. HR Premier $2200. Better part of 100 k all up today.

Could be worse though. One mate bought a brand new Atlantis Blue A9X hatchback. One of the rarest combos. Only 13 built. Traded on an International Scout in early 80's.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
its one of those things though Cal, you never know what the future holds.

another one of my hobbies if people cant tell via the Avatar is Bikes.
you hear about some of the old school BMX bikes people had and how they wish they still had them now.
combine that with the prices they are fetching today compared to a few years ago and its phenominal.
people used to almost throw them away a decade or 2 ago.

at the same time, sure they are good to know they are worth money, but do you really get enjoyment from it by having it as a "carpet queen".
sure its all good and well to say I want to buy it and put it away, but if you aren't going to get it out and ride/drive it, is it really worth it?

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
if you aren't going to get it out and ride/drive it, is it really worth it?

Nope, not at all. I know people who will smile and say "I haven't put more than 100km on her while she's been in my ownership, shes all original"... but what the hell is the point of that? It'd be like having a supermodel girlfriend that you didn't go anywhere or do anything with... at all. WTF?

The VFII's will get slight recognition as the 'last Holdens', the Monaros will rise in value eventually, and the future Camaros will be good things if the international reviews are anything to go by.

Agreed on anything HSV in the VR/VS series going up in value... mind you its not why I'd buy a car, as alluded to above.

- boingk

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Interesting, any specific reason why? I could can understand them holding, but i would have assumed they would rise.

Yeah, i've come to that realization with my car. It's a great car and everything but eventually it'll be worth nothing but whatever it means to me. That's why i would like a car i personally love and wouldn't care about the resale value.

I'm guessing the VFII's will hold because of the LS3?

They will hold their value somewhat as there is no more supply to that type of car any more but ultimately the supply will be higher than the dwindling demand until after 20 or so years prices hit rock bottom and then start to trend up for those maintained well and are desirable.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Two things drive the value of cars (or anything old) up. Rarity and sentiment.

Obviously, the rarer something is, the more people will be prepared to pay to have it.

But sentiment is different - it thrives on emotion and memories. Many of my generation own the old classics today because they were brand new and unaffordable when they were first released. For example, the HK GTS 327 was only $3995 in 1968, when I was 16. Even by 1970, when I had started work, a used 327 was still well beyond my reach. I was not alone. Many of those old buggers who were just starting work back then are retired now and have money behind them. They can afford to lash out and pay the big bucks to own a real classic.

It just shits me that I had a few of them when they were cheap and traded them on to other cars that will never be classics.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
I reckon a manual VS GTS/Senator 215i would be a cracker of an investment, I'd pick up one myself but I'd never be able to resist modifying it and driving it everywhere. We're going to hang onto our VS bomb and run it into the ground though.

As for BMXs, I looked up the price of them so my kids could have an old school ride like my old Supermax or Redline, only to get depressed when I found out they're worth about as much as my Commodore nowadays. Diamondbacks used to be top quality in the '80s, now they're cheap Chinese junk. Sigh.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I reckon a manual VS GTS/Senator 215i would be a cracker of an investment.

Yep, those factory strokers even had a bit of mystique about them back in the day, what with their Harrop cranks, 'blueprint' options and Hydratrack diffs. Plus Perkins won Bathurst in an iron block Holden in that era too, so they have that race cred. I'd tip the early VR GTS/Senators as the pick. VP GTS was the last four-bolt factory Holden V8, which is pretty interesting also.

Just wish I didn't have a mortgage to keep me broke.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
lol, yip I remember when dimondbacks and jokers were first released.. cost a fortune.. we coulnt afford one so I had to stick to my Raleigh Chopper with 3 on the tree... <-- that would be worth a few $$ now.. as would an HMX.. damn you BMX bandits..

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
lol, yip I remember when dimondbacks and jokers were first released.. cost a fortune.. we coulnt afford one so I had to stick to my Raleigh Chopper with 3 on the tree... <-- that would be worth a few $$ now.. as would an HMX.. damn you BMX bandits..

I had a chopper as well, brought it out from the UK with us when we emigrated, great bike!!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I also had a chopper as a kid. 3 speed t-bar and all. Cracked my nuts on that shifter a few times too lol.