Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30

Bill44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08 MY09
Does anyone have feedback on this oil? Was going to put Edge Sport in the beast but have found that Castrol have changed to this stuff now, nice and pricey too at around $70.00/5Ltr.

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
Looks good, about the same viscosity as the old Edge product but will potentially void a new car warranty relating to exhaust cats and possibly engine. This is because of the phospherous levels.it gives them an out as the oil doesn't comply with their minimum specs of at least an API SM oil, let alone their latest spec called Dexos

Bill44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08 MY09
Looks good, about the same viscosity as the old Edge product but will potentially void a new car warranty relating to exhaust cats and possibly engine. This is because of the phospherous levels.it gives them an out as the oil doesn't comply with their minimum specs of at least an API SM oil, let alone their latest spec called Dexos
The following is straight off the Castrol Product data sheet.

Warranty and Protection Requirements: Exceeds engine manufacturer’s warranty requirements for applications requiring ILSAC GF-5, GF-4 and GF-3 and/or API SN, SM and SL. Also meets Dexos 1 requirements.

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm only going off the bottle which clearly states exactly what you've quoted....except due to the phospherous levels the oil isn't actually an API SN grade, it's an API SL I believe. In effect, the oil meets all requirements for an SN oil but the phospherous levels only meet an API SL. As a result, if you use this oil and the cats stuff up, I'll bet my left one that if Holden knew you were using that oil, they'd reject a warranty claim on the basis that the oil is too high in phospherous levels. In other words, Holden will use any excuse to get out of warranty.

As far as Dexos grades, I only spoke with Castrol tech line the other week and they confirmed that they have no intention of paying for the rights to be Dexos approved. Further, Castrol Australia currently has no oils that meet Dexos spec anyway. I'm only going off their own tech line info and my experiences with Holden warranty. In relation to a $70 oil not stuffing up cats....take Royal Purple for example. That stuff is great, arguably one of the best lubs on the market, but at present is only licensed as an API SL grade oil. Although Royal Purple will tell you they've never had an adverse reaction with cats, if you were the unlucky customer who's cats did blow up (and Holden required you to prove what oil you've been using for warranty purposes)....they may very well deny the warranty because of the API SL grade oil.

Bill44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08 MY09
OK I've just clarified the situation with Castrol Techline.

Firstly, my apologies to Bluessv. The Australian Castrol Edge Titanium is an SL oil, and the US oil is a different formulation so disregard the US spec sheets.

Secondly, it is fully approved for use in the 3.6L V6 alloytec VE engine and the phosphorus levels meet Aus standards and will not stuff the cats.

Thirdly, while the new formulation does exceed SL in many respects it can only be rated as SL due to the phosphorus level only meeting SL standard.

Thank dog I've finally sorted that out.

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate, I think the oil is perfectly fine and 999 out of 1000 people wouldn't have an issue. My point is more targeted at Holden who will use any excuse to worm out of a warranty claim. In saying that I've just put Shell Helix 5w40 into mine which is also not the correct spec. Obviously the oil would not cause any issues but I am running the risk of difficulties with Holden if my engine developed an issue. It's a risk I'm willing to take

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
I'm only going off the bottle which clearly states exactly what you've quoted....except due to the phospherous levels the oil isn't actually an API SN grade, it's an API SL I believe. In effect, the oil meets all requirements for an SN oil but the phospherous levels only meet an API SL. As a result, if you use this oil and the cats stuff up, I'll bet my left one that if Holden knew you were using that oil, they'd reject a warranty claim on the basis that the oil is too high in phospherous levels. In other words, Holden will use any excuse to get out of warranty.

As far as Dexos grades, I only spoke with Castrol tech line the other week and they confirmed that they have no intention of paying for the rights to be Dexos approved. Further, Castrol Australia currently has no oils that meet Dexos spec anyway. I'm only going off their own tech line info and my experiences with Holden warranty. In relation to a $70 oil not stuffing up cats....take Royal Purple for example. That stuff is great, arguably one of the best lubs on the market, but at present is only licensed as an API SL grade oil. Although Royal Purple will tell you they've never had an adverse reaction with cats, if you were the unlucky customer who's cats did blow up (and Holden required you to prove what oil you've been using for warranty purposes)....they may very well deny the warranty because of the API SL grade oil.

Ok so if your cats blow up Holden will reject the claim......
Most people using $70.00 5l oil have probably changed the whole exhaust, so the warranty on the cats was gone when they took them off and put bigger ones on. just a thought. Maybe there are other cats that i don't know of.

Bill44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 08 MY09
Mate, I think the oil is perfectly fine and 999 out of 1000 people wouldn't have an issue. My point is more targeted at Holden who will use any excuse to worm out of a warranty claim. In saying that I've just put Shell Helix 5w40 into mine which is also not the correct spec. Obviously the oil would not cause any issues but I am running the risk of difficulties with Holden if my engine developed an issue. It's a risk I'm willing to take
According to my handbook and Castrol Techline, an SL rated oil is OK by Holden in my car.

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
I Just used castrol edge 5w 30 today, isn't that fine!?