Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

catalytic converter

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Btw - Cats dont just limit environmental damage, the limit PERSONAL damage. Some of the unleaded byproducts are carcionogens, that the catalytic coverder is supposed to oxide into hamrless nitrates.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Speaking of Cats.

I paid for a Set of extractors and a 2.5" Sports sytem. I found afterwards that they used some dodgey looking wrinkled inner wall bends, between extractors and cat. The cat also appears to be a re-used one - some sort of 2 in, 1 out cat. i was thinking of replacing this with something decent.

So from extractors back to cat, to a single 2 and a half out, whats the best way of doing it ? 2 small cats ? 1 large ? Is there a decent merge collector that could be used in front of a single large cat ?

As it currently stands, the inlets to the cat come out at an angle, like the merge is actually inside the cat....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sounds like you have the original front pipes off the VT and the cat. They are all one piece from the VS on.

You could go twin cats, then into a merge collector, then into your system. Will be loud as buggery though. I supplied a guy over here with extractors, cats and a system on his VY. He did the extractors and system first, his had the single cat, then he put on the twin hi flow cats and it made a hell of a difference to the note. He had to get a rear resonator put on.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ahh - I have a rear reso - new that would happen. What sort of dollars would a twin cats layout run me ?

Mark P

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Jazz
was told at a muffler shop that , by removing the cat, it would give you about the same power increase as fitting headers, but a fraction of the cost. your thoughts on this..

Rip out the back seats and get rid of the girlfriend... heaps more power straight away

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
was told at a muffler shop that , by removing the cat, it would give you about the same power increase as fitting headers, but a fraction of the cost. your thoughts on this..

Depending on your setup you can actually loose power across some of the rev range by opening the exhaust up too much, you will be taking away a significant amount of back pressure which your car needs to expel the gas correctly.

Your car has been set up and tuned for the cat....don't remove it....waste of time, no gains and it will be iilegal

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
You lose power from opening up your exhaust because it reduces the velocity of the gases, restrictions increasing backpressure like a filthy old cat or the wrong muffler make the wrong type of backpressure.

Will vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 3.8l
I'm going through this same thought process at the moment, don't worry once I read up on everything that the cat (s) do I realised I couldn't bear the thought of recycling whilst also having a car that's deliberatly killing my kids future.

The difference is I've managed to blow a few parts of one of my cats out already (Vz SV6), still yet to figure out which part of the cars managed to #### the cats.

On the contrary to how it happened, I'm keen to replace the cats myself.

He's anyone got a step by step idea for me?

I'm not amazing with cars but I've done a few home jobs over a couple of cars now, and even if I #### it up at least I tried :)

Any feedback would be much apppreciated.

Will vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Sv6 3.8l
I'm going through this same thought process at the moment, don't worry once I read up on everything that the cat (s) do I realised I couldn't bear the thought of recycling whilst also having a car that's deliberatly killing my kids future.

The difference is I've managed to blow a few parts of one of my cats out already (Vz SV6), still yet to figure out which part of the cars managed to #### the cats.

On the contrary to how it happened, I'm keen to replace the cats myself.

He's anyone got a step by step idea for me?

I'm not amazing with cars but I've done a few home jobs over a couple of cars now, and even if I #### it up at least I tried :)

Any feedback would be much apppreciated.