Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Catch Can Installation

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Does anyone have any pictures of a catch can installed on an ecotec... Just want to see what I'm getting myself in before I get one.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you just want a catch can for looks, then any catch can will do.
If you actually want it to work, then you need a catch can that has some sort of internal baffles or similar to capture the oil. Most catch cans are just empty cans and don't do a very good job of catching the oil

and yes it's illegal to run a vented catch can as the crankcase fumes are considered emissions.
Either way, it's better to have engine vaccum drawing out the fumes. If you use a vented can, then a lot of the crankcase fumes aren't going to be drawn out of the engine, which all ends up diluted in the engine oil. I've hooked up a sealed catch can between the pcv and the engine vacuum line, it works a treat and is legal because it isn't vented to atmosphere. There are no gains in venting to atmosphere. If your catch can is working properly, the air that gets drawn back into the engine, via the catch can will be free of oil.

and yes it's advantageous to run a catch can on a N/A engine, particularly if you give the engine a lot of rpm eg circuit racing. Oil will pool up in the rocker covers and get drawn back into the engine.

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
Yea mate I actually want it to work otherwise having it will just be pointless in my opinion. And yea having a vented can looks like the biggest wank in my opinion, so won't be going down that path either.

Yea I know what you mean by internal baffles. I've heard people put steel wool in there to do the same thing? Apparently it separates the air and the oil just as well? I'm sure it will be fine without however...

I just really want to see some pictures of it installed on an ecotec so I have a guide of exactly what has to be done. Ecotec's get the filthiest plenums and throttle bodies and I'm guessing/hoping that a catch can will do away with most of the filth!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yep I bought an empty catch can (Drift brand), that had a removable cover.
I removed the cover and seperated the intake and outlet side with a piece of aluminium, with several holes drilled through it to allow the airflow.
Then I stuffed stainless steelwool on the intake side and put the lid back on.

works extremely well, and it rectified the oil issues I was having at the trackdays.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
biggest thing i found with holden v8 in particular, make sure both breathers exit the front of the rocker cover, i put a 1L one on me speedway car, nd when i was running clockwise races i was filling the can in 4 hard corners, but after i moved the LH breather to the front of the motor, i collected about 100 mls of oil in a whole season of racing